free hit
counters
couple o' dumb cam belt change questions (90 SE) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TrapperJohn

couple o' dumb cam belt change questions (90 SE)

I feel like an idiot for asking, but I've also loosened the wrong bolt for the umpteenth time...

The vacuum pump - I've loosened the lower allen head bolt that goes through a slot, pretty obvious it's for setting tension, but the pump is still tight. It appears to pivot on a second allen head bolt that's behind the pump pulley. Is this the right bolt to loosen? Any tips on the best tool to loosen it with? Socket definitely won't fit.

AC compressor - there's what looks like a tension pulley. After some effort, I've loosened both bolts that hold it on, but it just rattles around, it doesn't appear to pivot to set tension. How do you set the tension on the AC compressor?

Sorry to be such a moron, but the mundane tasks are turning out to be a bit more involved.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes the vacuum pump has a top pivot that is a socket head cap bolt. You'll need an allen wrench (hex bit) ~8mm if I recall correctly. Most people grind one down so it fits behind the pulley.

The little pulley on the AC belt does set tension, it does pivot a bit. The AC belt is fairly tight though, so the tensioner doesn't usually need much swing.

I've also found that you generally need to completely remove the tensioner to R&R the AC belt.

Thanks, guys. The AC tensioner had some mysterious goo holding it in place, it's now swinging free. I didn't want to go banging on things that shouldn't be banged on. Finally removed it completely, and the offending goo fell out.

I was just wondering if I should grind down an 8mm allen wrench, just wanted to be sure I was going after the right bolt. Of all the places that an end wrench on a normal bolt would have worked perfectly, that's it.

Came down to the very last obstruction, the large hose out of the water pump, and it's going to give me a hard time, too. Clamp screw was turned in such a way that no screwdriver or 1/4" socket can get to it. Out with the dremel and cutting wheel, and cut the clamp off. Hose is stuck, won't budge. Back to the tool store to get a long narrow angled pry bar - perfect. Worked around the edges and it finally popped off.

The cam belt is on! The engine and cams hadn't turned, still at TDC so I put the belt on the engine pulley first, stretched it tight over the lower cam pulley until the lugs snapped into place. Thread it the rest of the way around, and there was just enough slack to slip the tensioner back on. Still have to squeeze the krikkit up in there to get correct tension, but that should be simple compared to previous difficulties. Next time, raise the car higher.

Reassembling now. Gee, this is a lot easier when you know the correct sequence of events, and where everything should be.

Now, if my new Toyo's will just show up, I can drive it to work next week for the next round of layoffs (as is the company rumor)... well, if you're going to get laid off, may as well leave in style.

John,

If you haven't replaced your alternator recently you might want to check it now while you're there. That offending "goo" you mentioned usually comes from the alternator....

As a matter of fact, the goo does appear to be coming from the alternator. It's thick and black, and a splotch of it dropped onto the AC compressor and dribbled down onto the tensioner pulley mount. May as well remedy that while everything is out, or I'll just have to do it again.

Ewwww - alternator dung!

LOL, alternator dung.......that's a good one. :(

Also, when you put that lower radiator hose back on be sure it clears the exhaust housing cam pulley. There's only about 1/4" -3/8" clearance even when it's right.

Edited by lotus4s