free hit
counters
charge cooler temp? - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimjitsu

charge cooler temp?

Oh yes I agree, no need to discuss this... I didn't mean too indeed ! I was only being sarcastic again, those who know me for a long time must have realized this :(

I am sorry you thought I was serious about 0-60... I was only teasing you.. even put a smiley at the end to make it clear... but once again the forum failed to turn it into an icon, so maybe you missed it.

Edited by troutrou

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Actually Jonathan, your statement

Regarding pumping rates - If you move the fluid too slowly it dwells in the hot and cold parts of the heat exchangers and soaks too much heat to lose, if you move the fluid too quickly you do-not allow the fluid to stay in the exchangers long enough to convey the heat in and out - both are bad for the system - this is why the optimum / constant flow rates are necessary, or more desirable IN MOST CASES.

is only partially true.

You are correct about the case of too slow of a flow, but the statement about too fast of a flow is incorrect.

The fluid here is a heat sink. An ideal heat sink would be infinitely large.

In the case of fast moving water, it begins to approximate an infinite heat sink. True that the time that the fluid has to exchange it's heat into the heat exchanger is more limited, but there is a constant flow of un-equilibrated atoms to conduct heat. The fluid is assumed to fill the pipes completely, and in that case a faster rate only exposes more mater to conduct heat away (infinite heat sink). Faster fluid (note, not so fast that it makes bubbles or cavitation) will always bring the system down to equilibrium faster.

Well I was told differently, what can I say.

I do agree with you to an extent - if the temperature is roughly constant (ie like on my watercooled computer at home when under load) the average temperature will be more stable and slightly lower.

The way I was always told was the water is the conveyor not the sink - as I say I was always told when the heat exchangers efficiency especailly when they are different sizes / thermotransfer rates like in the car needed to have an optimum flow rate otherwise you wont get the best out of them.

What was it....cooling has it's best effect when delta-temp was at the highest, if you're not letting the heat exchanger do the work becuase the fluid moves through it too fast and doesn't have time to conduct then dt will be lower.

With the car example you not only have a varied temp to cool from the turbo, but a variable air flow over the heat exchangers (turbo rpm / car speed).

Anyways anyone want to do some real world comparisons ?

Perhaps settle this discussion for good, find out who's livign in fairy tale land :(

Think of it this way....

The faster the water circulates, the more you reduce the temperature difference between the two heat exchangers. The radiator at the front will therefore be hotter. And the energy it can dissipate is related to the temp difference between it and the airflow cooling it. So if it's hotter it can reject more energy. Thus, more flowrate of the water will provide improved performance of the chargecooler system.

Having said that, I have a mechanical pump, but that was because I repeatedly failed to get anyone to sell me a chargecooler blanking plate so in the end I repaired the standard pump instead.

I am going to (at some point) instrument the water temperatures. In addition to increased water flow, it is likely that either the chargecooler itself or the chargecooler radiator at the front or both could benefit from being improved.

Gav

Having said that, I have a mechanical pump, but that was because I repeatedly failed to get anyone to

sell me a chargecooler blanking plate so in the end I repaired the standard pump instead.

Pete at PNM made mine, took him no time at all, it's just a round plug

with a milled recess for an O ring, anyone with a metal lathe and basic

skills could knock one up in minutes given the pump as a pattern. As i

recall it was very cheap.

:cheers:

Why don't you guys measure the CC temp of your various speed electrical

and mechanical pumped cars? Or compare scan results picking ones where

the engine etc is the same temp, is that possible?

Seems endless to debate how hot/cold something is when things exsist to

measure and find out IMO. The results would be useful and interesting to

anyone reading this thread in the future as this ground has been covered

a lot with no definitive right answer. When i got the Electric pump fitted on

my last Esprit four years ago nobody would agree back then (as now) just

which system/pump/and especially speed was best then. Am surprised that

given the good technical folk amongst us we still don't know.

So in the end i just contented myself with 'cold to the touch' as do most folk!

:animier:

PNM are making me a blanking plate cost 30 something posted should be sent tomorrow. charge cooler pump from AVT 100 squids posted. Both the mechanical and the electric pumps do the job right? I think the electric wins for me as if it fails will be a piece of piss to change again should I need too :animier:

Edited by Jimjitsu

Jimi - why dont you do before and after freescan results.

Try and ensure the ambient temp is the same (ie look at the water start temp value) and so the exact same drive using similar levels of boost.

You will then get a good comparison between the two.

I've got to do some of my own freescans this week for another chargecooler project I want to do, I'll post the results up as soon as they are done.

would love to bud but my freescan crashes after a couple of minutes so that seems to be the longest log I can get also the car seems down on power judging by the state of the rest of the car my guess is theres no impeller left to test

should also add that the freescan plug underdash does not work so i have to plug it in the boot start log and hope for best : /