free hit
counters
Fuel pump noise? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimjitsu

Fuel pump noise?

sometimes it sounds like my fuel pump makes a low down rumble noise when i switch on my ignition anything to worry about? other times its just like a quite buzzing

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When you switch on, the fuel pump will energize and pressure up the fuel line to the carb. Normally a rapid ticking which slows as the line reaches pressure. If that's what you're hearing it's normal.

when i switch on most of the time i get what i would call a normal "buzzzzzzz" as the fuel pump energizes but sometimes that noise is replaced with what sounds more like a rumble oO

From what your describing its not the fuel pump.

Its the vacuum pump and perfectly normal it'll normally stop after about 2-4 seconds once vacuum achieved.

If yo turn the ignition one click on(not engine) and it rumbles/buzzes then this is normal. If you then operate the recirculation knob on your console it'll buz again momentarily.

Try it

As far as fuel pump is concerned this should be practically silent.

Waynef

Normally a rapid ticking which slows as the line reaches pressure. If that's what you're hearing it's normal.

That's the SU Pump on the carbed cars, this is an S4 Mat so no ticking, just a very quiet buzz for 2/3 seconds.