free hit
counters
Shuttle Launches - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Shuttle Launches

ifly

With only 5 minutes to launch of Atlantis to repair Hubble it crossed my mind that there are very few missions left on the books. Anyone plan on going to any of the last ones or has seen one in the past?

Post pics if possible.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen a launch but was fortunate enough to see the first landing of a shuttle back at Kennedy Space Centre. Prior to that they always landed at Edwards Air Force base and were carried back on a 747.

I do have photos somewhere but will have to scan them and even then the shuttle is really only a speck in the distance.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

The last Hubble servicing mission was the one that broke up on re-entry...this time they have a second shuttle on standby just in case; they can't make the ISS from the Hubble orbit.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

We were finally lucky enough witness a night launch of the shuttle Columbia in 1999 after 2 aborted launches on previous evenings due to technical problems. The first launch was aborted at T-7 seconds and was a great disappointment for everyone.

We witnessed it from Titusville which is about 11.5 miles as the crow flies from the launchpad and I set my camera up on the roof of the car and set the exposure for 30 seconds. It looked like a giant firework reaching for the sky. The launch was eerily silent as it lifted off from the launch pad and lit up the sky and it was almost a minute later that the sound of the rockets reached us.

This was the first shuttle launch in history to be commanded by a woman.

ShuttleLaunch.jpg

NASA STS-93

I was going to ride my motorbike down to see it, but had a shortage of tire-tread. But I am seriously thinking about catching one of the few remaining. Since I last posted here, I've moved to Atlanta which is only 500 miles from KSC.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Nice pics, love the probably one and only picture of 2 shuttles one off 39A and the other on 39B.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Gene told you that? Nice.

I've always liked our family motto 'Sarsum Specto'. Even though I'm a bonifide petrol head, I still love aerospace and space sciences.

I like this shot from SpaceWeather.com:

atlantissolartransition.jpg

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Saw that pic in the local paper on the weekend. Unbelievable shot. He's just a weekend photo geek with some expensive gizmos. Photo was taken whilst the shuttle was in space, crossing the sun.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Family mottoes? Ours is "Jamais Arriere"...explains a lot, that does.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein