free hit
counters
Turbo and S3 gearbox different? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LSV

Turbo and S3 gearbox different?

Hi Guys,

Hmm, wanted to swap my spare gearbox with the one which is currently in my 84 Esprit...but as I compared them, they seem to be different.

The clutch operating mechanism is different. The Turbo version has a clutch mechanism on the side, whereas the S3 version seems to have it on top of the bellhousing.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Regards, Ruud-Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I know the S3 and Turbo clutches are different. The latter can handle more power and torque and i considerably more expensive if you want to buy it from lets say SJ or Lotusbits.

I friend of mine has an uprated S3 NA engine, but with the turbo clutch. Works fine togerther, but evidently needed some fiddling to put together.

Bjorn

Did they not just move the position of the slave from top to the side on all the later g-cars? I believe the gearbox is the same, but the clutch bellhousing may be different. I think that if you fit a turbo clutch to a N/A you may have to grind away some of the inside of the bellhousing for it to fit and rotate. Mike at Lotusbits has a bit of experience of this, as it is him I spoke to about the issue.

Scott