free hit
counters
Ferrari Pulling out of F1 end of this year! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ferrari Pulling out of F1 end of this year!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, Toyota and Red Bull have also already threatened not to enter next year's championship unless the new rules change. "

It is just a way to ensure the negotiation ball gets rolling.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Anyone see Eddie Jordan at last weekends GP?

He was dissing the ferrari and Maclaren Motor homes, each of which

cost more than a whole years team budget to buy, let alone transport

all over the world.

One wonders how much money Ferrari piss away on stuff like that, big

gala nights, celebrity guests and hospitality stuff compared to the smaller

teams?

There is not being able to afford something, then there is not having enough

money. Two different things IMO.

:(

With proposed/reduced budgets caps, 3 New Teams have already shown an interest in joining F1.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm just waiting for the whole lot to go down in a screaming heap. From the ashes may arise something remotely sporting and entertaining. It's been rubbish ever since the FAI paid Ferrari more than the rest, thereby creating a 2 tie system.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

This topic I try to avoid, just like religion (insert finger down throat and wince) and politics....and I've been an F1 fan longer than most those drivers have been able to breath. All I'm going to add is that it hasn't the same since Lotus left.

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Which happens to be around the time "Whip me one more time" Mosley arrived.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger, I have to ask why to contant griping at Max Mosley, I and everyone else knows you dont like him, fair enough, but to constanly drag his private life into every post you make that refers to him is getting a bit much.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Roger, I have to ask why to contant griping at Max Mosley, I and everyone else knows you dont like him, fair enough, but to constanly drag his private life into every post you make that refers to him is getting a bit much.

Howard, Mosley is very easy to dislike, not just because I see him as detrimental to Formula one, but principally his autocratic, dictatorial manner based on his believe, that his opinion is more valid due to his being a better and superior being. It is a view I totally reject, as I do the arrogance and classicism that generates it.

However, you are correct in suggesting this is not the right medium and I therefore apologise, and undertake to try not to repeat it.

Roger

thanks for the reply, no need to apologise, have go at him all you want, I understand, just leave out the stuff about his private life which the gutter press had no justification in going after IMO

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Mosley and the demented dwarf both need to get a life and let someone else 'rule' F1, and the rest of the FIA for that matter. Tired of hearing the news about them over the sport itself.

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

just leave out the stuff about his private life which the gutter press had no justification in going after IMO

Thing is mate, it's a matter of judgement...

If your dad just happened to be founding member of the British Union of Fascists,

And you just have to have a Nazi themed orgy, you would think it a real lack of any

judgement to film said Nazi themed orgy.

If the son of one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) fascist this country ever produced, EVER let

a Nazi themed orgy involving himself be filmed. It should be OBVIOUS to both himself and anyone

with any sense that it will come out. Nothing that sensational stays hidden for long in this world.

It's so bizarre it's just possible he'll be remembered for it as much as his work in F1.

Why film that which is secret to you and then let someone walk off with the tape?

He'll be judged by that for the rest of his life, no-one will ever forget it, and 'leaving it

out' is (and i'm sorry Howard) never going to be an option because of the content and

the context of the film in relation to both him and who his father was.

For what it's worth, i don't consider him any differently that i did before the film came out...

:animier:

Ok its fair then to taint the son with his fathers past, no I dont think so, as for him being set up by the gutter press, they have no biusness delving into anyone private life, i have said it before what interests the public and its in the public interest are two different things. I dont care who he is and what he does, nobody deserves the news of the world snooping into your private affairs

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

I don't want to compound this, but whilst I agree totally with what Howard is saying about gutter press and rag papers, and invasion of peoples privacy. Whilst trying not to let my personal revulsion to Mosley influence my thinking, my problem with this saga is this, let us suppose that video clip had not been published, suppose it had fallen into the hands of an F1 team, possibly undergoing investigation by the FAI. Mosley allowed himself to be totally compromised by his own actions. He holds effectively a judicial office, it is up to the individual to judge weather or not he is fit to hold that office. But certainly I think we could argue that in this instance it was in the public interest to publish the clip.

It's only an opinion.

Roger

IMHO none of the teams HAVE to race under F1 rules, they choose to do so. Obviously you will get politics, espescially where lots and lots of money is involved.

As long as the cars go round and round, I'm happy to let them bicker to their hearts content. The safety of the drivers is the inportant thing and that seems to have got a lot better, the rest is just humans being humans.

If there are more cars going round and round, all the better!

And yes, bring back lotus into F1....somehow

:)

I would love to see Ferrari throw their toys out of their pram and leave. Hate them!! Always have, always will.!!!! The only reason they are pee'd off (and Toyota) is that they both spend the most to get ahead! In future it will be about the driver and setting up! Rather than who has the most money!

For every team who leaves 2 will want to come in so who cares!! Good riddence! About time the governing body stopped teams bullying them around.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Formula one is no longer sport, it’s business, we have prima donna drivers, homogenised tracks and homogenised cars.

What Burnie seems to have overlooked is that a large part of the appeal of F1 is it’s heritage, it’s about Fangio, Moss Clark, Senna, it’s about Vanwall, Cooper BRM Lotus, and yes even Ferrari.

Formula one is not about cars racing around sand dunes and between empty grandstands. It’s not about a car being 2 seconds a lap faster and still not being able to pass because of aerodynamics.

It’s about challenge, ingenuity, development, looking outside the aquares as Chapman was so famous for, forget those things and we may as well have a world wide IRL. For the last decade the spiralling costs of F1 have been driven by aerodynamics, the testing is all about aerodynamics, the massively expensive brakes are a direct result of aerodynamics.

Max has mastered the art of the most complex solution to address the simplest problem. The whole engine thing over the last few years could have been addressed buy “You will start the race on the engine you qualified on, or go to the back of the grid. As it is you can go to the track on the Friday and maybe see your favourite driver for 20 minutes, about the same on Saturday and just over an hour on Sunday and you want me to pay $600 for the privilege, is it any wounder I haven’t attended a GP for a good few years.

The real problem is for Mclaren and Williams because F1 is their core business, without F1 they’re not in business, the rest can walk away, and I think a few will.

Strangely enough I would welcome a 2 tiered system, but the second string most use renewable energy. Of the budget cap? How do you enforce it, all these companies have multiple layers and multiple enteritis, and we know full well there are some very creative accountants out there. I can hear it already “oh no xyz paid for wind tunnel, they just let us use it, no charge”!

I look forward to doomsday, a fresh start is the only real solution. But I will forever rue the day Mosley got control of it.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

I remember the days when we all hated Jean-Marie Balestre and were so happy when Mosley replaced him to bring some peace and stability to F1.

Mind you, I remember when we were all suprised to learn that teams were spending as much as $100,000 a season.

The problem that F1 has is that it so dependent on manufacturers. Of the 10 teams competing, only 2, Williams and Brawn, are owned by people who are just F2 racers. The rest are owned by car manufacturers, investors, energy drink manufacturers or conglomerate owners. To these people, F1 is a hobby or a means of advertising. It's not central to their making a living. Mosely recognises the urgency of keeping the independents alive because they are so difficult to replace. Remember Super Aguri had decent results but only lasted 18 months and no one replaced them. Brawn is heavily supported by Honda still so is a special case. The only reason there is interest from new teams is because of the budget cap rule.

However, having 2 sets of rules with some sort of equivalency is never satisfactory. The equivalency formula always seems to be flawed. I like the idea of opening the rules to encourage ingenuity and having the budget cap should stop this making the cars too fast. However, it is too much, too soon. Bringing in such a drastic change next year would throw 1000's of talented people out of work as the manufacturers would not be able to absorb them into their main line of business.

Mosely does seem to like using the technique of proposing extreme measures that cause squeals of outrage so that when a compromise is reached, everyone is relieved with rules that, had they been the first proposal, no one would have accepted. I believe there will be a compromise and that Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull will stay. Toyota may still leave but that will be because they are sick of not winning.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE