free hit
counters
No1 piston not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
davidgardner42

No1 piston not working

no 1 piston is not working it gets a spark. the plug is wet so its getting fuel and the compretion is 132 when cold / :( it got new plugs leeds dis cap and rotery arm timeing belt 2 3 4 all run ok CAN ENEY ONE HELP

1985 ESPRIT

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If there's fuel, compression and a spark at the right time, it should work. You say you have a spark, and if the other 3 work OK it pretty much has to be at the right point in the cycle...with all the new ignition bits I think spark problems are unlikely. You say the plug is wet...have you been pumping the throttle? If so, the accelerator pump will have squirted lots of fuel in and made the plugs wet. I think it's worthwhile to check the slow running jet...you'll find those under the top cap on the carb..might as well check all of them...and follow the slow running mixture through the passages in the carb...there's the slow running adjustment jet on the carb flange where it bolts on the inlet manifold...check the float level, too...and the progression holes under the brass blanking screw on top of the choke tube. I find mine starts best without touching the throttle initially, just operate the choke and crank her over. You could try taking the plug out and leaving the inside to dry out overnight, then heating the plug on the gas stove before refitting it and trying again...once the engine's running, things often improve!! A logical approach oiught to work...but it IS a Lotus....!!

Had a similar problem on number 4 cylinder (see recent thread "running on 3 pots"), turned out to be the vacuum tube for the brake servo assist which is a take off from the inlet manifold at number 4 cylinder, but there is another vacuum tube on number 1 cylinder, try blanking this off, you'll soon know if it's this or not.