free hit
counters
WWII Aviation nuts - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
billt

WWII Aviation nuts

Luckily my business is right down the street from where they restore antique aircraft - they do an amazing job so if interested poke around this sight for some before and after pics. Click on www.fighterfactory.com Also if you're near Virginia Beach, Va. there will be a display, dance, meal 5/16 - 5/17/09. See www.vbairshow.com I'll try to be there and post some pic's later if I can convince my wife to go along.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be amazing to see another mosquito fly - the last only flying version drilled itself into the ground at Duxford iirc.

facebook = [email protected]il.co.uk

Culled from the web...

The last Mosquito known to be airworthy (serial number RR299), a T Mk III built By D.H. at Leavesden in Spring 1945, crashed on 21 July 1996 with the loss of both crew after suffering an engine power loss when performing a wing-over manoeuvre at Barton Aerodrome air show, near Barton, Greater Manchester.

Wiki is worth a look..there's a lot of activity on the Mosquito front, including building new ones from scratch!! My aeroplane of choice had I been flying in WW2...Mosquito night fighter!!

As a bomber, the Mosquito carried the same bomb load to Berlin as a B17 Fortress...some design, eh? And never an official specification in sight...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Speaking of night fighters: My father, who was in charge of radar operations for the 14th AAF in China during that war, used to travel to the various radar sites in a Northrop P61 Black Widow. Reason to use that particular aircraft? If there were any Japanese aircraft flying, they would usually run at the sight of the P61, even the fighters wouldn't tangle with it. He had interesting stories about landing on the handbuilt runways, the Black Widow touched down at around 160mph.

Great photo's......

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Sally b / Memphis belle flys still does she not ?

I read the report into the mosquito crash, they used 2 different merlins, one type of which was prone to fuel starvation during negative g (as were the early spitfires/hurricanes) it was the port engine iirc that slowed causing the wing over manouver to go wrong pitching the aircraft nose high whilst banked 90 degrees over. Very sad.

facebook = [email protected]

The Mosquito has all my respect. I even rate it higher than the Spitfire.

but, who needs props ?? :animier:

BTW : This beauty was flying at last year's Berlin air show

post-1772-1242310558_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1242310575_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1242310606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

WOW never seen a ME262 flying except in model form - thats amazing !

Does make me wonder where all the money comes from with this stuff - I mean there is the demand for it, WWII activities are quite popular in the UK, but still - getting an aircraft of this age up and running is a feat. I suppose most of it is volounteer work, long may it continue.

Some of my piccy wiccys if anyone is interested :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhimself/se...57604710499180/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhimself/se...57600010002217/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhimself/se...57594523308223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhimself/se...57594523532914/

facebook = [email protected]

but, who needs props ?? :animier:

the Mosquito does.

Nice shot of the ME BTW.

No wonder when I looked for Mosquito pics there were so few. I didn't know about the 1996 incident.

I've always liked them as well.

dehavillandmosquitotaxi.jpg

mosquitowinvasionstripe.jpg

dehavillandmosquitotaxi.jpg

I have a copy of that old WWII video of them building Mosquitos in Australia for anyone that wants to PM me with their email address. I'll send you a WMV copy of it. I can't get it to load to my image hoster without a lot of hassle.....

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

WOW never seen a ME262 flying except in model form - thats amazing !

Does make me wonder where all the money comes from with this stuff - I mean there is the demand for it, WWII activities are quite popular in the UK, but still - getting an aircraft of this age up and running is a feat. I suppose most of it is volounteer work, long may it continue.

Johnathan,

See it all here. If you like the Me 262 as much as I do this website will take up your whole evening.

Have fun :animier:

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

The one that flew in Berlin, now belongs to the Messerschmitt foundation which is funded by EADS. That explaines a lot :

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

There are still some flying Meteors left...we could now have the definitive WW2 jet dogfight!!..which never really happened.......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

You know what...I saw this thread and thought somebody was after some nuts for an old airplane!! What a numpty!!

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

For some reason this post got me thinking about the jaw dropping 'B29 Frozen in time' documentary. The attempt to recover a WW2 B29 (by recommissioning in situ!) abandoned in Greenland after 50 years on the ice. For anyone interested in aeroplanes, engineering or endurance, It must be the best film ever made. If by any chance you have not seen it, track down a copy. You will not be disappointed (apart from the ending...).

I just got back - I've got to figure out how to post pics - they are on photobucket but the link doesn't work when posted. http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/w...ction=slideshow

Here's the link again - it may take a while to load

Next to "wmtatumjr" click on "all" than click on tiny pic to enlarge...the above link appears to be working now.

Edited by billt