free hit
counters
Wheel bearing or something else? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slewthy

Wheel bearing or something else?

My S3 has something wrong with the rear wheels.

I mentioned this before and it was suggested it might be the bearings.

Here are the symptoms

With hand brake on, it is possible to rock the car forward or back an inch or so. ie the wheels will turn a little.

No obvious wobble.

No abnormal noise I noticed

When looking at the output etc, the brakes are definately on and gripping.

If this is a bearing problem, can someone explain why it would allow some revolution of the wheels.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems pretty normal.

The brakes are quite small, so any movement between the pads and the calliper retaining mechanism (there is always some in any design but those ones have a fair bit) will allow rotational movement, then you have to factor in the movement that the joints in the drive shafts will give, keep in mind the brakes secure the gearbox the wheels are indirectly secured via the drive shafts, which is different to most modern cars.. So an inch of car movement isn't really that excessive so as to worry about it, as long as you've checks there is no bolt loose on the callipers, mountings or drive shafts, and no obviously damaged components.

Thanks Andy, that's very reassuring. I will go through all the components carefully as you suggest.

I am going to need to replace all the suspension at some point. Do people tend to exchange the bearings at the same time or is that a job easy enough done at another point in time?

They're not hard to replace if you have suitable tools to press / knock them out. If by "all suspension" you are including the rear pivot bushes for the trailing arms and the rubber bushes in the upper and lower rear links then it will be a simple job to do then as you'll have the trailing arm off the car anyway.

Yes, I will be doing the lot. Seems no urgency right now though. Job for the winter hopefully providing I don't find anything amiss during my checks.

You'll need a serious press for the rear wheel bearings...also a good idea to put the bearings in the freezer overnight, and heat the bearing housing..give it a good boiling!! Then assemble it quickly before the temperatures have a chance to equalise. Personally, if the bearings are serviceable I wouldn't change them..but if you do, get some good ones..there seems to be a lot of duff bearings about.

Movement is often down to worn U/Js on the drive shaft. They're often neglected and if not kept regulary greased will wear quickly. They take a lot of stick on the S2 as the driveshaft forms part of the suspension. I believe the setup on the S3 rear suspension aleviates the pressure on the U/Js but worth ckecking anyway. Could be a simple solution.

Pete