free hit
counters
Supercar Sunday 28th June 2009 - Page 3 - Events - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Backmarker

Supercar Sunday 28th June 2009

Well got home safe and sound....by 18:00 :sick: ...but not as much fun in the traffic as the early morning drive up alone which was fantastic!

Thanks very much for organising and letting me play Graham.

Thanks for the use of collapsible bucket and sponge Martyn - the car was a few Kg lighter without all of those passengers!

Good to see everyone again. I agree with Graham - I thought Iain, Ady, Andy and especially Dave did fantastically well in the ring with Steve who for some reason was asking some really tricky questions. Mind you, he clearly knew nothing about Lotus homself - not even that they were all Esprits so you could have said anything. You sussed him with the deliberate error that he missed saying Andy's car was an SE instead of a Turbo....but thats the anorak at home talking - I wouldn't have survived the interrogation in the ring!

Took a few pics of stuff that caught my eye....not exhaustive, but a flavour. Here's a few favs

The LEF line up

IMG_1818.jpg

Never heard of let alone seen the Bugatti Tazio before

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

The widest lowest Marcos ever!

IMG_1840.jpg

or see them all here....

Slideshow

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Graham for organising the tickets. Gina & I had a top day out, the finishing touch was displaying the car in the arena. Good to see faces old and new see you all at Cholmondly Castle.

You were mentioned a few times - we did have the official "Ian May" dress code - shorts :sick:

:whistle: Now you've practiced, I will expect nothing less Donington next year.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Many thanks to Graham for organising things. The people from Northend all seemed very friendly and happy to see us unlike last year at the Gaydon Inn !. I thought Dave and Co did a grand job representing LEF in the face of the less than knowledgeable chap doing the commentary, he seemed to get a little lost when he couldn't spot an Elise amongst all the different Lotus's (they where all Esprit's matey :whistle: ).

I think Bibs should definitely come along for the loudest exhaust competition next year, got to be in with a chance I'm sure.

Chris (Wookie) you missed a load of Marcos on display and even a Mantis with a supercharger and loads of shiny bits under the bonnet.

Martyn :sick:

Blow me down.

I didn't know that they were expecting the Esprits in the ring. (so to speak)

What time did they call you in?

Graham

Forgot to say - thanks for doing the organising with Gaydon for tickets etc.

Are you sure we don't owe you anything only in the past we have had to pay for the tickets??

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Hi guys!

Good to see you :D

The Tazio was made in VERY limited numbers (like 6 or something) - it's a mate's car. They were 'protoypes' (yes, I know prototype means one! :P ) and were touted to different manufacturers - hence the Bug badge :( iirc it has a chevvy lump in it.

There were some great cars there but I was a bit pissed off that 'supercar' of the day were:

1st TVR Sagaris

2nd Ford Mustang

3rd Audi R8

Great cars but not one actual supercar among them! :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Oneshot,

As I mentioned to the guys on the day, Gaydon themselves made no charge for the tickets and I'm certainly not asking for any payment for organising the thing. Its all part of the LEF club spirit.

Like you, I was very surprised when I discovered the tickets were free because I've always paid for them in the past. Strange that?

If those that attended think some payment should be made then I would suggest a small donation to the LEF coffers.

Hopefully we can do the same again next year.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

That is odd! Dermot, how come you've had to pay for tickets in the past and they're free this year? Did we go under a different category or anything? Any ideas?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hi Guys,

As far as I can gather, years ago the entire event used to be free ie roll up in your supercar, free entry, free museum, free sitdown meal upstairs.

They found they were loosing loads of money so they stopped the show.

Then a couple of guys who worked for the place (lowly porters actually/one of them was the guy who was with me) kicked off and said it was the busiest day of the year and why didn't they charge instead.

So they did, but the number of owners willing to turn up and have they're cars pawed over got lower and lower so I believe the compromise is free entry for you in your supercar but you have to pay for food etc if you want it!!

I only know some of this cos of my mate having worked there!!

Cheers

Nice pics Ian, very cool :)

Mangel, the thing is this year we got a stack of free tickets but previously the tickets have cost LEF owners

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Not sure mate,

Did we not get them because we arranged to display there!? And We were part of a club stand!?

I think if you phoned up and prearranged you got free entry but since found out from a mate that if you rolled up without prearrange you had to pay (bloody Gallardo owners, he wasn't having any of it when I told him it was 'cos he'd come in a tuned Audi TT with a bodykit)!!

We've always been a club on display and pre arranged, tickets sent out in advance etc.

Evora NA

Dunno,

could try callin them and see what the score was this year.......I'll just block my number incase they go where's the money!!

Went to Mini show there yesterday and it was

Haha! I'll drop Dermot a PM if I don't hear from him in this thread or give the organisers a call. Ta mate. :)

Evora NA