free hit
counters
Esprit en route to Central Coast NSW - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit en route to Central Coast NSW

Heyup

Just a quick introduction to you Aussie Esprit guys as I will be no doubt be posting here quite a lot in the next few months. I have a 1988 Esprit Turbo X180 on it's way, expected delivery end of July which I purchased from a really nice bloke in Chelmsford who has owned this car for over 13 years.

The engineers report concludes that "this is a good honest car which has been well maintained and will make a great Esprit with a little TLC. The Engine, Turbo and Gearbox all perform well, and the overall condition is excellent for a car with 20 years and 58,000 miles under it's belt." It had a recent C service and a full service history with receipts including a new steering rack last year. The previous owner tells me that he rarely drove it in wet conditions and that it has been always garaged during his ownership.

I have purchased a whole set of Suspension bushes, 4 new springs and 4 new dampers from SJ Sportscars, including all the nuts, bolts and washers to complete the job. They are all being shipped inside the car and I will fit them when it arrives as part of my planned 'cleanup'.

Here's a photo of the Esprit being delivered to the Shipping agents in London.

post-5938-1242343750_thumb.jpg

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the car Steve,

Let us know when it gets into your hands in Australia and how the rego goes. At the moment my S3 Turbo is off the road prepping for re-rego in Victoria (Purchased the car in W.A.).

How long will your car take to get here ? Im guessing around 12 weeks ? OMG Such a long wait. The one week from W.A. to Victoria was pain enough for me :)

Edited by BadWolf
  • 1 month later...

My Esprit will be sailing through Fremantle this weekend, arriving in Sydney on the 29th. I was just slugged $600 for quarantine inspection charges and customs valuation fee preperation by the feight company. They also tell me that it will take 14-20 days to be processed after arrival at their premises.

The time frame seems to be proportionally linked to the cost involved, it's taking longer and costing more - I hope it's worth it ! I won't know the final figure until customs duty and Sales Tax have been applied and the rego is done, but it's looking like the total figure will be about $23K on the road, which is just $1K over my initial budget for the project, so it hasn't worked out too bad. I will report back when it's finally in my garage.

Michael, what's the news on your S3 Turbo now it's South of the Border ? Did you get it fixed up and on the road yet ?

The time frame seems to be proportionally linked to the cost involved,

Tell me about it, I remember all this, and of course you know you have to pay duty both Federal and state. Is yours in a container?

Those shocks are on but I don't have anything to report because the wheels aren't. The new bushes are in, the new gearbox mounts. I have the relays for the windows, but my valance repair and repaint is taking a while, oh and I've got the passenger window, frame, and motor out.

Good game, good game.

Roger :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi Roger,

Yep, i'm up for about $1500 in import duty and $1700 in sales tax, plus stamp duty on the rego. I budgeted for it all except the 'valuation and quarantine' fee. That was straight from left field. It's in a shared container, they sent me photo's of it being loaded - I have no idea how the guy who drove teh car in got out of there.

I am ( hopefully ) planning to have a bit of fun before I start pulling it apart, but based on your experience I may have a lot of work to do. First on the list is the Air Con, I can't live without that. When you have finished yours Roger, what you will need is a holiday at Avoca Beach ( accomodation and spanners supplied).

I've almost finished building my 'Inspection Ramp', I will post a photo when it's done because it's hard to decribe. It involves a 0.8m high retaining wall, some steel stock and a pair of 1000kg loading ramps.

'tara for now' Steve

Update 2nd July

The car is still sat in a container at Port Botany, it's been there 4 days now. Anyway, the ramps are almost finished, just the cross member to make now so that I can use a jack in the middle. I put the wife's Challenger on and there was almost no movement at all, very strong and solid. I can't wait to get underneath the esprit and re-fit that Air con belt and get some gas in.

post-5938-1246521652_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevem

• 3 weeks later...

Steve ,

Have 3 more jobs to do before I can take her for rego. Have the turbo tailgate glass re-inserted (Had to pull out the Louver section to get to this) and I need to replace the 2 outer concave headlights as one has a crack the other has a small bullet shaped hole in it :'( . Im waiting for SJ Sportscars in the UK to get back to me about availability. Last job is to get the timing belt changed. Unknown service history and the clock is right on 69,000 *Eeeeek*

I have spend the last few months restoring the interior of the car. It was showing its age and letting the car down. I keep meaning to start a small restoration thread but the Esprit keeps calling me back to work on it :yes:

You must be close now to taking ownership of your Esprit ? The Stevens body design is slowly growing on me. I saw a dark grey one on display in the Shannon's area at this years Motorshow in Melbourne. They look quite a bit more menacing and imposing than the 80's G design. If I ever have the crazy Idea of getting a second Esprit I think it will be a Stevens.

God help me and my poor bank balance :P

Edited by BadWolf
Hi Roger,

Yep, i'm up for about $1500 in import duty and $1700 in sales tax, plus stamp duty on the rego. I budgeted for it all except the 'valuation and quarantine' fee. That was straight from left field. It's in a shared container, they sent me photo's of it being loaded - I have no idea how the guy who drove the car in got out of there.

They leave him in there until it's unloaded. :yes:

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Steve ,

You must be close now to taking ownership of your Esprit ?

I wish !!

It arrived in Sydney on the 29th June, which is over 2 weeks ago. It still hasn't cleared customs or quarantine and they tell me it will be 2-3 weeks before I will see it. So it took 6 weeks to get from London to Sydney and the another 5 weeks from Sydney to the Central Coast. :D

I will report back when it's finally in my garage. Missus wife suggested that the car might not clear the incline at the bottom of our driveway without scraping the front - I hope she's wrong. It's fairly steep but I'm hoping it will clear OK, otherwise I might have another use for those allumium tread inserts on my ramps.

Fingers crossed.

5 weeks to clear customs. :'( how horrible .. to know its so close but you can't touch it.

Funny you mention about not clearing a driveway. When I picked up my Esprit from TnT I had a major SCRAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE getting it from the depot driveway out onto the main road! Scared the **** out of me :D Lucky the body kit survived without any major damage

• 2 weeks later...

'D' Day Hath arrived.

Waiting for pics...

Waiting for Pics...

Waiting for Pics...

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Exciting times, don't think I'd hopd up under all that excitement! :(

BadWolf, a number of people have asked about removing the rear louvers on the S3T, did you take any photos whilst you were doing it that you could post on a tech thread so all can see?

Cheers Mate :D

Chunky Lover

Simon , its one of the few things I did without taking any pics :D .. although I will next time I get a moment I will try and do up a small selection of photos and instructions.

It was quite a harrowing process but, compared to getting the engine bay 1/4 side covers off the S3 Turbo when I was replacing the Fuel vapour line.... easy enough for almost anyone to do.

'D' Day Hath arrived.

Waiting for pics...

Waiting for Pics...

Waiting for Pics...

OK Here's two to be going on with

post-5938-1248851813_thumb.jpg

post-5938-1248851822_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevem

• 2 weeks later...

Ferris could only dream about such a quality bit of engineering ! There are concrete footings that go down a metre to a clay base and have 16mm threaded bar/bolts that are set down 500mm into the footings. The uprights are made of 8mm thick 100x100 RHS with 8mm boiler plate welded on top and bottom. Bolted to that are 8mm thick 75x75 steel angle sections which support the ally treads. The treads are actually loading ramps and have a load rating of 750kg each when supported at the ends. In fact these lay in the steel section, so as a unit they are very, very strong.

The whole thing was over-engineered to ensure my safety, there's no way I would get under there if they were not solid. As you can see I can only get 1 axle over the ramps, so with the Esprit on there it's only holding 700kg in total. Even with Missus Wife's 4WD on there it's rock solid. I also have a 100x50x100 8mm thick C-section cross brace which spans the ramps and can be used to jack up a vehicle in the middle.

My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.