free hit
counters
Constant Brake Light - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Setras

Constant Brake Light

Have a few niggly problems over the last couple of weeks.......

Changed the rear pads and since then have had a constant handbrake light. Also the first time I started it after fitting the pad I got a hoot from the vacuum bleed pipe. I have checked the vacuum pump for operation and the pipes for any flatness blockages or leaks and have dis-assembled the brakes and put them back together again,

I also had a problem with the Immobaliser, which needed the binnacle removing and the immobaliser being extracted from the dash..... All is back together but the light is still on. Fluids are fine.... no signs of leaks.

The brake pedal is very firm and does not soften at all when the car is running.......

Have I missed something or could I have knocked something loose/disconnected in the dash?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm fairly sure there's a vacuum sensor in parallel with the handbrake warning light, thats why when you let the hand brake off without the engine running the hand brake light stays on. So it's possible there is not enough vacuum to satisfy the vacuum warning sensor or maybe the micro switch on the hand brake is just out of adjustment. You can get to the micro switch through the front access hole in the inside drivers side sill in front of the drivers seat. If it does need adjustment just bend the lever a bit on the switch, don't try to loosen the screws as they are secured with nuts which you can't get too....

Martyn :)

1st guess is that the pipe from the vacuum pump to the engine is out, it's a hard plastic pipe that fits into a rubber pipe from a T piece that also goes to the engine.

If that's OK.

Are you certain the servo is connected to the vacuum pipe?

If it is, start tracing the vacuum system back to all ends of pipes from the pump. The pump shouldn't have gone in an instant at the same time as you replaced brake components, so it's more than likely something has become dislodged.

Andy

1st guess is that the pipe from the vacuum pump to the engine is out, it's a hard plastic pipe that fits into a rubber pipe from a T piece that also goes to the engine.

If that's OK.

Are you certain the servo is connected to the vacuum pipe?

If it is, start tracing the vacuum system back to all ends of pipes from the pump. The pump shouldn't have gone in an instant at the same time as you replaced brake components, so it's more than likely something has become dislodged.

Andy

I removed the pump and checked the pipes to the engine, they appear fine, will check the pipe connection to the servo tomorrow..... thanks

Hi,

Sounds like maybe it may be the handbrake micro switch sticking to me, as you have put in new pads in the rear the handbrake will now sit in a different place slightly as the pad diffewrence is different, try disconnect the wir to the handbrake, then check with a test light to see if it gives a permanent live out the other side! also check the brake light switch on the back of the brake pedal that may be sticking! If these fail remve the binacle an follow all brake circuit wires to make sure you have not knocked anything!

Regards danny

I, last night found that when I was putting the floor in the boot back I had knocked a vacuum pipe in the rear compartment beside the coil pack when connecting the wires... back together.....Light out....... yay!!!