free hit
counters
How much coolant? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andjons

How much coolant?

I am thinking of draining and refilling my coolant - having replaced the engine and transmission oils. I can't find any guide as to how much coolant the system should hold. Any ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you drain the system, you will sure find out how much it holds, just put it all in a bucket ;-)

To refill, I couldn't find any figure in the manual either... maybe because it's not very important : one just poors coolant as necessary until the refill procedure is complete, as detailed in the manual. If that's 10 litres, so be it ! ;-)

With the pipes running through the back-bone, it will probably be close to 10 litres. So prepare 15 litres of coolant before starting the re-fill procedure, to make sure you don't run out before the procedure is complete...

Bibs, where did you find the info, I wanna see it with my own eyes ! ;-)

In what section of the manual is it ? Couldn't find it...

I know it anyway but I'd imagine it's in the owners handbook.

Ta muchly. With the wife and sprog away for the weekend, I shall head off in the morning to buy the antifreeze. I was going to buy Halfords - any reason why I shouldn't!?

Edited by Andjons

If you can get Castrol, do so but make sure you give the system a good flush through with a hose and lots of water before you refill. Also try to refill it nose down, helps to prevent airlocks.

Oh, and when it gets colder, you can up the antifreeze to 50%. :)

Ah, the owner's handbook... I don't have one... I will see if I can find one for the early SE on ebay or something...

You can probably buy one from Lotus, they are only a fiver or something in the sale!

According to the Service Notes it's a whole lot more than 7 liters....

4 cyl. - with separate chargecooler system 18 litre (32 imp pt; 19 US qt)

- with integral chargecooler system 24 litre (42 imp pt; 25 US qt)

V8- 15 litre (26 imp pt; 16 US qt)

The info is in section TDJ page 2 under "capacities" of the 93-97MY manual.

Edited by lotus4s

It's 24 litres for a chargecooled car, what Bibs was refereing to was the anti-freeze component.

When you go to Halfords get a radiator flush, it's in a can, drain enough from the system to fit in the content of the can and then run the engine hot enough for the thermostat to be open for about 10 minutes.

Then drop the lot, take the bottom hose of the passenger side of the radiator (yes you're in the UK) and put a hose the top tank in the engine bay, run the engine until the water coming out at the front is clear.

Now take your measured amount of coolant mine 88 turbo 2.7 litres but we don't get very cold here. Oh re-affix the radiator hose and pour in the anti freeze/coolant, now the trick, patience just a trickle from the hose into the top tank/filler, do it slowly and you will almost eliminate air locks. I think it took a good half hour maybe longer, but no air locks.

Roger

Oh and my coolant of choice like Bibs is Castrol

Edited by Roger the Dodger

You can probably buy one from Lotus, they are only a fiver or something in the sale!

Something cheap from Lotus, how refreshing ! :baby:

Thanks for the info.

--

Vince

If you are going to use Halfords for any parts or consumables apply for a trade card. Good saving on a lot of items especially bulbs and wiper blades etc. Does not apply to everthing,ie cleaning products which is a shame! :baby:

Problem is, you seem to need to be in the trade for a trade card!

Either that or try and persuade someone at the parts desk that you are deserving....

Anyone had success with that? ie got a trade card without being anything more than a home, single car DIYer?

Good point Simon,I forget that not everyone is a freelance WRC mechanic like myself! Been asking other mates who have cards and the opinion seems to be if self employed you should be ok. Maybe some club bumpf would swing it? Was just a thought to try and save members some money. Anybody local is welcome to borrow mine if it helps.