free hit
counters
How hot does engine bay get? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How hot does engine bay get?

I need to fix a part in my engine bay, Its the bracket for the fuel pressure regulator. How hot does it get in there as the product I'm going to use is suitable up to 260C.

Thanks

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say that, unless it is in physical contact with the engine or near the manifold/turbo/exhuast it's not a major issue - I have cable ties scattered all over the engine bay.

Engine surface temps rarely get above 90 degrees

The Exhuast system however is the hottest at 600+ degrees

The top of the engine cover can get to about 70-80C as heat rises but the side walls are not that hot at all.

Unless it is in surface contact with the engine / hot water etc the temperature is actaully not that high becuase air is a superb insulator.

What things suffer from in there is a prolonged exposure to radiated heat - a material like PVC will not 'melt' at constant exposure to 80 degree heat but it will gradually lose it's mechanical properties over many hours at this exposure which is what you need to consider. A cable tie for example wont melt at a given temperature but if it got hot enough it would stretch ever so slowly until it broke.

The other thing you have to consider is it's resistance against oils, again this is where most plastics fall short.

If you want to know a certain temp let me know and I'll take a laser reading of surfaces around it - although the reader only goes upto 350C

Remeber in the engine bay there are 2 kinds of heat, radiated and conducted - if it isn't in contact with a part of the engine or near the exhaust you should be fine.

Any chance of a picture ?

What material is it - plastic ? Resin ?

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Someone broke the bracket that holds the fuel pressure regulator which looks like it is an alloy. It bolts to the top of the engine plenum? I have fixed it with JB WELD. it is a steel expoy resin. It has been used to fix engine blocks so I think it should be ok.

Thanks for your help. I thought the car needed some TLC

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"