free hit
counters
Is it okay to fit the gearbox without the engine? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Is it okay to fit the gearbox without the engine?

Does anybody know if it is possible to fit the gearbox to the chassis of my series 1 without the engine and then at a later date fit the engine. Obviously it would be better to fit the two in one go but I want to get it back on its wheels and the engine isn't ready yet and won't be for some time. I have a bare chassis with no body on it.

Thanks, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't do it, I've just had a problem taking the engine & gearbox out separately.

If you've got body off I still don't think you'll have enough clearance.

Mine's going back in engine + gearbox together.

Maybe able to use as rolling chassis , but you'll have a pivot point around the top gearbox attachments.

Edited by markjonesx

Hi Giorgio

But that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't remove the gearbox at a later date before they fitted the engine. I'm wondering if there is enough room in there with the gearbox fitted to get the engine in? Or whether it would be an absolute nightmare!!

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Paul,

I dont think it is convenient to remove the gearbox as shown in the photo.

To do it you need to dismantle driveshaft, uj joints,links etc...nonsense in my opinion.

I think will be a little difficoult to fit the input shaft, but for what I have seen on my chassis...it is possible.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Giorgio

I'm about to do the same thing as Paul and was wondering if the gearbox fitted to the chassis (without the engine support) would damage the top chassis beam and cause it to flex. The gearbox is extremely heavy and without the support of the engine bolted to its mounts, I was scratching my head on that one. But, Giorgio shows that it's possible! I can't wait to get the car on its wheels. Finally everything is ready to bolt back up!

The thought of "Jiggeling" the engine rather than the gearbox to match the splines is quite alarming. I see no technical reason you can't fit it before the engine, but I suspect you will end up taking it back out and fitting all in one.

I'm wondering if there is enough room in there with the gearbox fitted to get the engine in? Or whether it would be an absolute nightmare!!

With reference to the above statements... no and certainly

With everything bolted up ie "fitted" , you stand virtually no chance of getting the engine in so some form of gearbox dismounting will be required.

Obviously, as witnessed by the photo, the gearbox can be fitted for storage purposes.

Depending on the weight and configuration of the exhaust you can achieved the optimum balance to minimise any strain on the gearbox mountings by either attaching it as shown, or not.

With no body attached it is much easier to move the box backwards out of the way, suitable supported, while you fit the engine, but it is still debatable whether it is more convenient to use that method or just to remove it and join them both together off the car.

Let us know how you get on.......