free hit
counters
Electrics...Problems!!!! Revcounter.. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MGFCrasher

Electrics...Problems!!!! Revcounter..

Hi,

Once again one of my cars surprises me.The electrics are fine except for some of the Gauges.

The Revcounter is fine for the first minute on start up and then once the engine warms up a bit the guages shoots round off the scale.WHAT is happening.

The engine revs are normal and its an SE with the electronic vdo type guages.

Also can anyone tell me which is the relay for the hazard lights .

hELP i,M GOING MAD !!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A few people have reported a similar "jumpy" VDO tach with a mind of its own. I have heard it will do this in cold/humid conditions (e.g. start up in the early spring after being stored through a cold Canadian winter). Mine has yet to do any of this.

I'm guessing that the internal circuitry of the tach is shorting out from dew and reading wildly high RPM's. If yours does it while dry then the circuit board might be at serious fault.

Broken solder joint to a tach circuit resistor? Seen it once on another (cheaply made) car.

AP

Guest teigan

which gauges are fiddly? if more than one is acting up, it'll be your ground line. most auto manufacturers know to put each gauge on a separate ground line. not so with lotus, and that's why you can diagnose it as ground when more than one system fails simultaneously. however, that'll probably be why it failed in the firstplace.