free hit
counters
Binnacle - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ok, so i was in the car with a screwdriver tightening everything that moved because im a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to rattle hunting and i noticed that my entire binnacle cover moves forward if i grab it from the front and pull... the two screws near the front (the one by the headlight controls and the one above the radio cluster area) are tight.... im just wondering if they are all like this or am i missing a screw somewhere that holds the back of this thing down? i assumed "lotus position" (head in the foot well and feet on the seat) and with a flashlight, looked up underneath from the pedal area and couldnt see anything wrong.... i think im overlooking something...

normal as it sits:

img0416j.jpg

tilting forward:

img0417s.jpg

shade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems that you're missing the forward (back of the binacle, front of car) bolts. They are a pig to get to, which might be why somebody didn't bother.

The SE has a single long M6 bolt (10mm hex head) holding the rear of the binnacle. There is a picture on my website.

i could have sworn when i was under there looking up that the bolt in question was in place... what exactly does it screw into in the binnacle cover? if it is missing, how long is the bolt so i can get a replacement one?

shade

Mine's been converted to have a laet type binnacle contents with an early type binnacle, including the four bolt method. I'm now thinking I really should just change it to the three bolt method, it will be so much easier.

I can never understand why Lotus never done the top of the binnacle as a seperate item, was it to do with crash testing, didn't want it coming off an slicing your head off perhaps? It would have been so much easier if the sides were retained and just the top came off to get to all the instruments, it only just comes off because of the screen being so close. That single bolt is a real bastard to get to because it also holds on the heater ducting, so you need to remove the duct piping, which once out of the way you can get a 1/4 drive socket on with a long extension and ratchet it on from within the foot well. The only problem then is trying to get the damn duct pipe back on, you really need a very small child who could sit up under the foot well and has a full understanding of mechanics and stuff! :)

Its a 6mm thread bolt, 10mm head if I remember rightly, and it's quite long, about 3-4 inches if my memory is correct, it was some time ago when I had the dash pod last off.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

Owen,

Too funny...having removed mine numerous times I never had any heater ducts attached via the bolt. That just might explain some funny noises and irritating squeaks from that part of the dash...lol. I finally have the science of removing without the dreaded Lotus postion. Do not know if that is bad or good. I always have a chuckle over the two side screws because I am certain the PO lost the originals and the replacements are a laugh. One must be at least 1.5" long and the other only a 0.25" long...waiting for the day the 1.5" decides to " join " a few wires together in the light switch group.

Christopher