free hit
counters
Lights not working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Hi

Not sure what the problem here is but the lights on my Esprit S3 just stopped working a couple of weeks ago. Coming back from a run I switched on the lowers and all fine. Stopped at a shop and when I started up again none of the lights would work - not even the pop-ups. Last week I checked all the fuses in the glove box and the plug-in one under the front bonnet and all seemed fine. After a while the lights did come on briefly and the pop-ups worked briefly too but then next time I tried (and since), nothing at all. I can't see any loose wires. Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks

Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dip/ main column control switch? I assume rear lights work even when the headlights are supposed to be on but haven't come on. In which case you can possibly assume the main switch is OK. As neither headlights nor motors seem to work correctly a common fault is likely, and the column switch is a common component to both.

Andy

My guess is the main light switching..iirc there is a deficiency of relays in the circuit which means that high currents paass through the switch gear and the switches can melt!! That or a bad earth somewhere..and the earth wiring is from another space time continuum, I've spent many a happy hour trying to find earthing problems...

Update: I took the car out for a spin the other week and the lights decided to work! First one would pop up but then switch off and on again and both popped up. I'm wondering if it is a dodgy battery issue? But then I was pulling up to a small roundabout and the whole car went dead! No lights, no engine, nothing - not even hazard lights. I pushed it to the side of the road (good job they are light cars) and luckily it then decided to work again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I checked the battery connections and they seemed solid enough.

Thanks

Richard

My money is still on a dodgy earth somewhere....check the battery earth connection, also ensure that the live connection isn't shorting out to earth through damaged insulation...I've had that a couple of times on different cars, if you have that and don't find it, the whole shebang can catch fire!!

hi, on my 84 there is a fuse next to the main earth block in front trunk- that fuse does the power to lights + pods, can get rusty, just check its clean inside, its nearly under washer bottle, just a thought as mine needed a clean, then they worked ok, steve

If you still have the problem with the lights, a quick test to see if it is the light switch is to use the flasher. This circuit bypasses the rocker light switch. If that works then look at light switch. If not then your problem is elsewhere.

I think you were right - dodgy earth connection on the battery. Went to start the car today and went dead again - checked the battery and yes, the earth connection was very loose. Have tightened up and seems ok now :-)