free hit
counters
G Esprit throttle cable - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

G Esprit throttle cable

I have a sticking throttle cable on my one Esprit Turbo and I am a little worried as I know of one Esprit Turbo that dropped an exhaust valve when a similar thing happened.

With the cable, part number CO79J4055F, does this include the outer "Bowden" cable and does this outer cover extend right to the throttle pedal.

I may just look at replacing the inner cable which I can get made up locally. Is it possible just to thread a new one through or am I looking at plenty of problems.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The outer cable runs from the carbs to the footwell just behind the footrest next to the clutch pedal.

I fitted an inner cable last week by feeding it through the original outer, took about 10 mins.

Les

That is good news. Which end do you feed it from. Does it not have a nipple on the footwell end?

I was a bit worried that if the outer was in sections, feeding the inner through could mean it taking the incorrect route.

Did you use the correct Lotus part or did you just use a section of inner cable?

You feed it in from the footwell end, yes there is a nipple on the inner cable and the outer cable is in one piece.

I bought mine from S J Sportscars.

Les

Went out for a run on Sunday with the local club and on a long steep hill, decided to floor it to show an E type, an MGB V8 and all the others a clean pair of heels. There I was flying along at incredible speed, but when I tapped off, nothing happened. Still accelerating like hell. Switched off engine and coasted into the side, opened up rear lid and closed throttle by hand.

Once back home, removed old inner cable and found that one wire had separated and bunched up close to the engine end.

Monday saw me at my local bicycle shop and would you believe it, they had one exactly the same length and diameter as the original and was fitted within minutes. Total cost for cable 3 pounds.

Can you confirm the length of the cable - I need one too.

I bought a 'standard' length cable from Halfords bike shop which was fine for the choke. Wonder if this would do? Looks like length might be similar but dont want to be left stranded.

Just fished the old one out of the bin and I would say that you should get one that is 2.4 metres in length. That will give you a little more than you need. Check the cut end before you try and thread it. All individual wires should be welded together. If not, I would suggest that you dip the cut end into a glue of some sort to hold the wires together whilst threading.

Don't forget to give it a light greasing before threading.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. Hope it wasnt too deep in your bin!

2.4m - sounds a little longer than the average bike gear or brake cable. Think I'll order one from SJs.

Will lube up - I guess a squirt of silicone spray up the casing would work well.

I don't know about silicon spray. I would go for molybdenum grease if I could find any. Even then I would only use a light smear along the length of cable before inserting it.

I noticed that on Sunday. when I took my green one out for a breakfast run, when the engine bay was cold, the throttle did not go back quickly and I suspect that tghe grease in the outer is a little on the thick side. Once the engine warmed up, it was back to normal.

There is a "G" Turbo somewhere in the Eastern Cape where the throttle cable jammed and the owner depressed the clutch to stop the car accelerating, rather than kill the ignition and the engine dropped an exhaust valve. I am trying to locate the car to see if I can pick it up cheap and either rebuild the engine or drop something else in its place, like the Rover V8