free hit
counters
aircon belt tension - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fightingtorque

aircon belt tension

Have been putting things back together after changing the cambelt. The aircon belt was tight before, I had a struggle getting the old one off, and now I am fitting a new one. I got it on by fully removing one of the idler bolts, putting the belt onto the aircon compressor and the crank pulley before the pulley was fitted, which gave just enough length to slide the pulley onto the crank. Then rebolted the idler, at it's minimum possible tightness setting. Belt feels very tight. Is this correct? It's much tighter than I would have set it if I could adjust it further.

Car is an S4.

Cheers,

Gav

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is the idler the right way round? It is off centre relative to the two bolts (pivot and securing) , can't remember off hand if it's normally in the position where the idler is set in or set out of the line.

It is the way round that gives it less tension, the other way round would be impossible. I hope to have the car ready for the karting day so people can have a feel, but that is this coming weekend, not sure it will be finished.....................

www.fightingtorque.com

Just went through the same process myself. Went to put the new AC belt on... even with the idler all the way in, it was too tight to hand fit.

What I did was to get it on as far as I could, and rotated the engine with a wrench on the crank pulley to get it the rest of the way on. Really, the idler pulley seems entirely superfluous at this point.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how the alternator goes back on. It seemed all so clear when I took it off, two weeks ago... but now I'm having difficulty remembering what goes where, how the triangular bracket should be situated, and there's an AL bushing that goes somewhere. Next time, take photos as you disassemble.

Really, the cam belt itself wasn't hard to put on. It was the normally simple things like removing and replacing the belts and hoses that gave me difficulty.

Some people have gotten a belt that was too wide for the AC by accident. SInce it was wider, it rides up in the pulley V-channel and is not only tighter, but it can rub on the alternator bracket.

Check for that

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks for the photo - that's exactly what I needed to see. The alternator is back on, all belts are set. Installing new hoses and the chargecooler impeller today, and it's done. Finally, I can test out those Toyo T1R's I put on last week. In retrospect, I'm glad I took the alternator out, it made setting cam belt tension a lot easier.

Wow, that was fun. I may write up an 'Esprit cam belt change for dummies' page, something from a first timer's perspective.

sounds like we have just been through the same thing, and I totally agree about the time taken to do some of the little things, like getting the alternator on and off.

car wouldn't start afterwards. turned out I had somehow tripped the accident fuel shutoff relay in the process.

GF

www.fightingtorque.com

Heh - I spoke too soon. Never underestimate the Esprit's ability to make the simplest things difficult. Was down to the last hose, the long squiggly one that goes into the water pump. Putting on a new silicone hose set and they're a tight fit under the best of circumstances. Spent most of yesterday evening trying to work the hose onto the water pump. Darn, I should have done this before I put the cam belt into place, as the cam belt is shredding my arm. I have the hose over the lip, but not seated fully, and if it's not seated fully, it rubs against the cam belt.

Oh well, back at it this evening.

What's the correct size of the aircon belt ? It must be in the service manual but I can't find it. ( I must ask my wife to have a look, she can find everything ! ) I need to purchase a new one as the old one has been 'cut off' and I don't have it for reference.

Cheers

Too many Toys are never enough !

Heh - I spoke too soon. Never underestimate the Esprit's ability to make the simplest things difficult. Was down to the last hose, the long squiggly one that goes into the water pump. Putting on a new silicone hose set and they're a tight fit under the best of circumstances. Spent most of yesterday evening trying to work the hose onto the water pump. Darn, I should have done this before I put the cam belt into place, as the cam belt is shredding my arm. I have the hose over the lip, but not seated fully, and if it's not seated fully, it rubs against the cam belt.

Oh well, back at it this evening.

Don't know if you already sorted it but I also struggled with that hose when working from above, but you can get at it more easily from underneath the car.

www.fightingtorque.com