free hit
counters
smoking poll - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

smoking poll

Guest teigan

do you smoke in your esprit?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone like me though

and find the smoke MORE repulsive than you did before you were a smoker?

Odd that, sometimes it makes me wanna gag, but if you mention it, the fact that

you were a smoker seems to count against you somehow, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They always say there's nothing worse than a born again anything! (in this case smoker...)

...and Teigan, there is no arguing with the statistical probabilities of increased danger. The numbers of people dying horribly speak for themselves. You'll also find it's to do with the WAY you die young, horribly and painfully from smoking induced cancers. Usually after several painful and qulity of life diminishing operations. It doesn't matter if you compare smokers in one city or country with people who live in the worst polluted cities elsewhere that's poor analysis. You compare the smokers of one city or country with those who don't from the SAME place. That's basic common sense analysis. All you're saying otherwise is that to live in the worst, most unregulated and polluted cities with a smoggy atmosphere of trapped toxic gasses is really dangerous too (no shit Sherlock- that's why we have the clean air act!)

Watch a member of your family die slowly and painfully from it and then you'll understand.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest teigan
Watch a member of your family die slowly and painfully from it and then you'll understand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some faulty logic in your reasoning. if anything your argument is advantaged by adding the air quality factor, and it still fizzles. smoke out of other people's mouths smell foul- even to smokers. it isn't the smoke, it's the breath and carbon dioxide content. try throwing some tobacco into the fireplace; smells lovely. cigar boxes are my favourite firewood.

sports can be far more taxing on the body than nicotine and tar. given what i'm exposed to, a few cigarettes are the least of my worries. my grands are still living and smoke like chimneys; tough as bricks. hope i don't have to live that long. i'm already bored.

There seems to be a lack of understanding of statistics here. Anecdotal evidence of people who have lived for a long time despite a history of smoking does not refute the evidence that smoking incresaes your chances of an early death. No scientists are claiming that smoking will kill you, just that you are a lot more likely to get something nasty if you smoke than if you don't.

I've got bladder cancer and the firsts question I get asked when I went for an operation on it is, "Smoker." The answer, in my case, is. "No. Never." It's back to those statistics again. Just as smoking does not mean you will definitely get a related disease, not smoking does not mean you will definitely not get one, just less likely.

Why would governments try to disuade something that brings in so much tax money?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Guest teigan

it isn't the government. it's the court systems gone mad, as a result of trying to appease the unthinking masses. any activity done out of moderation isn't healthy, and that includes healthy living. people without the willpower to use tobacco sanely, are appealing to authority to take the recreation away from everyone; including those who have the necessary self control.

over thanksgiving weekend, people entered my home with kids in tow. they asked me not to smoke, as it was causing harm to their kids. i asked, were they not causing harm to all the world by having kids. how dare they try to take a moral high ground. there is litter-ally nothing less ethical than perpetuating the curse of humanity.

it isn't the government.  it's the court systems gone mad, as a result of trying to appease the unthinking masses. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that the massive settlements the courts give against the tobacco companies are ridiculous. There have been plenty of warnings about the problems smoking causes over the last 40 years that, if you smoke, you should know the consequences. It's not the tobacco companies' fault.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

There have been plenty of warnings about the problems smoking causes over the last 40 years that, if you smoke, you should know the consequences.  It's not the tobacco companies' fault.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not so sure its that simple.. for example, lets talk about the quality of food we eat; pesticides; addictive additives in fast food; drug companies manipulating the medical practitioners; un-necessary drug regimines that keep you sick; non-acceptance of preventative therapies. Then add: std; aids; pollutants knowingly and carelessly being discharged into our environment; global warming; broken homes; self centered and non-caring parents; rampant and harmful drugs victimizing youth; gun and hate crimes.. etc etc... sure, tobacco is bad, but lets face it, we need to all take a long hard look at everything else we do to destroy our health, society and this great planet we all live on..

.. I dont smoke.. never have... hate the smell. Sure.. Ive done my share of smoking recreational drugs in my youth, but who hasnt?

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, am I the only one reading this thread who has never smoked anything?

I never quite got the fascination with taking something that's burning and sticking it in my mouth! :mellow:

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

• 4 months later...

Have yuo not noticed tha lack of posting form Paul of late???

I think this comment has come back to haunt him and Vicki has just plained stopped cooking for his easter-egg-less, starving monkey-ness! :P

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I've never smoked! :P

This has meant I have never had to go through the seemingly horrendous process of "giving up".

I am wise, oh yes. B)

I've always been the rebel of the family so had to start smoking to prove it. Gave up after 16 years (6 years ago) after my lovely wife, Wendy, had our twins and promptly got throat cancer. Sort of stopped us both, though took me 6 months to totally wean myself off them.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Both my wife and I come from families of heavy smokers yet neither of us did.

Both of us being the youngest in our families.

We both reckon we where rebelling against the norm. in our families.

Odd really.. so rebelling is not always bad... :P

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I've always been the rebel of the family so had to start smoking to prove it. Gave up after 16 years (6 years ago) after my lovely wife, Wendy, had our twins and promptly got throat cancer. Sort of stopped us both, though took me 6 months to totally wean myself off them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is she now? Fully recovered I hope.

How is she now?  Fully recovered I hope.

Thanks mate, she's in remission. After 2 operations it helped her decide what she wanted to do in life and she has become a nurse. Now about her uniform....... :D

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)