free hit
counters
Tiny Tiny flies - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul C

Tiny Tiny flies

My house is not some scuzzy flea pit (honest!).

This year i have tiny flies in abundance. Is it me?

If i spray a window there are tons of little corpses

the next day. What are they?

Is there an epedemic of these things or is my house

actually a suzzy flea pit? Tell me it's not me and that

someone else has noticed them.

Contender for most uninteresting post of the month?

:D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like you may have fruit fly problem. they live on any veblegtable or plant waste.

Do you have a compost bin near an open window?

Edited by Alex --GT3--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

This what yer looking for...after a bit of fly/beetle research i'm itching like crazy now

24wy0t3.jpg

Edited by Hippo

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Are they Flies? or mites? or fleas? Picture required Paul...

My brother-in-law had an infestation of mites, eventually found to be from a dead animal / bird in the roof space. He tried pest 'bombs' etc with no joy and ended up getting a professional in to sort it. :D

If they are flea or mites I think they also itch / annoy humans too.

Iain

Paul, I'm greatly surprised that you've not run across this phenomenon before. It is all but certain that you are experiencing the well documented and periodic infestation of the tiny creature known to entomologists as Brewskivius Pounceuponus Minimalis, or more colloquially as "the lesser beer fly*." They are normally not found in abundance, living a fairly quiet existence under the radar as it were. However, under rare environmental conditions--usually produced by an oversight or malfunction in the "sparging" process (the washing of the barley grains to capture the liquid "wort" prior to fermentation) in which too much sugary residue is left behind on the filter frames of a local brewery--large concentrations of the little buggers appear as if from nowhere, breeding (forgive the phrase) "like flies," in such numbers as to swiftly overwhelm the local populace and their abodes. There is nothing for it, but to allow time (and brewery maintenance) to run its course, with the attendant reduction in BPM numbers as a result.

Simply have patience, and in due course the problem will resolve itself. In the meanwhile, offer thanks to Providence that the "attractive nuisance" known as the Hook Brewery did not generate an influx of the entomological cousin of the BPM, the Brewskivius Pounceuponus Gigantis, as they are an altogether different animal, causing a significantly greater level of affliction, often likened to a locust plague. They are said, however, to be a great delicacy in certain impoverished areas of the world, where they are reported to be mixed with whatever foodstuffs are handy, and are considered as a valuable source of dietary protein. :D

Of added interest is the observation that, in those "more civilized countries" where beer is served chilled, not warm, the prevalence of this pestilence is substantially diminished, as both varieties of fly are more readily attracted to the presence of warm beer.

*not to be confused with the much more common UK "bar fly" or the Oxfordshirian "pub crawler"

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Sounds like you may have fruit fly problem. they live on any veblegtable or plant waste.

Do you have a compost bin near an open window?

Interesting.

We recently repotted all the house plants and these visitors are

mainly in the windows with a house plant in them. All have the same

new compost. Were they in it from the start?

Here they are:

rsz_fleapit.jpg

:D

I got and invasion of moths after buying some Kitchen towel from Tesco, that had probably picked up eggs from some moth in their warehouse... I noticed it when I was greated with a 5mm catapiller crawling on the paper

Could be a transportation problem gone wrong while China was trying to transport all of its citizens to Europe and they turned into flies within the demolecularization pods.

Anybody heard from China recently?

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

...help me!...help...please, someone help me...bzzzzz....help, help!......bzzzzz.....bzzzzz.....

Chang? Do you hear that sound? It...It...it almost sounds like a human voice!

Let's go back and check the lab again.

Paul.

if you send a sample to the entmology dept at the Natural History Museum London they will identify the species for you. but its expensice :D

but they have a bug forum where you can upload a photo and try and get an identification there for free

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/in...rum/3/container

cheers

Alex

I can send you some carpet beetles if you like Paul - we have plenty of those.

And, came back home from a couple of days camping yesterday to find a dead hornet.

I shall be looking over my shoulder today...

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Sounds cool, whats the exchange rate on tiny tiny flies to carpet beetles?

I'll send you all i have left from the currently hatched batch. Sadly some

have already gone to the entmology dept at the Natural History Museum

London, and the others are building a huge wall across my back garden

(that i assume is visable from space?), guess the iconic-chinese theory

has something in it after all.

Please send said Carpet beetles parcelforce and mark as 'gift', as i hear

there is a very high tax on rug dwelling insects. Likewise you (as the buyer)

will obviously be responsible for any final delivery fee, clearing fee, or taxes

associated with the tiny tiny flies that i'm sending you.

:hrhr:

Carpet Beatles are guaranteed to NEVER leave your House Paul

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

Am I to take it that West Sussex has a brewery as well? This ale-ment has produced far too much beer-evement and mash-inations amongst a populace at lager-heads as to what to do about the bad pub-licity that can barley be contained. Wort to do? Wort to do? At l-yeast interventional mead-iation malt bring about a draught of fresh air to a fermenting situation now barreling out of control. I sense catastrophe a-brewing as we get bock to sanitation basics before things cask-cade out of control as these flies goblet up our resources in a lauter-day version of historic past pestilences, providing grist for the tabloids requiring a stout response from our civic leaders, as they seidel up to the press in an attempt to mitigate these dis-sparge-ing stories..........before we descend into barbaric self-flocculation, and degenerate into light struck skunked hops.

On friday i will be once again in the village of Hook Norton,

while i look at the Steam engine with it's drivetrain of leather

belts and wooden toothed gears, and when i take a break from

patting the Shire Horses that deliver the ale produced from the

last steam powered brewery in this country...

I shall ask about the Tiny Tiny flies, and if their input into the

brewing process is enough for me to consider then welcome in

my house.

:hrhr:

I wish I was in a brewery and not here.

I turned the music off earlier this morning, and could hear an Apache helicopter just behind my ear...

I turned round slowly to find myself face to face with a super large hornet, not a nice experience.

It was however very swiftly dispatched and all is quiet again, and the music shall stay off today.

I will jest no more about my house guests.

After watching an episode of Supernatural at the weekend, when insects were killing people guided by the restless spirits of native americans, I am currently sealing all my doors and windows and shall never venture out again!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)