free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit - BMW V12 - running ! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
lotusross

Lotus Esprit - BMW V12 - running !

It's been a long time - but it is a little closer to operating down the street on it's own power.

Check out this link - a BMW V12 powered S1.

I still have some cleaning up to do - I won't be happy until it is perfect - but it is getting there.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/l...nt=HPIM0700.flv

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Absolutely manic! Wish I had time to do something like that...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

You crazy crazy (in a very good way) man! Wow... I can't believe you've gotten that far in such a short time!! WELL DONE!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Great work,

Its a great feeling when the thing fires up for the first time, the smell of petrol and success :D

Keep us posted,

Regards danny

A

Just came across your thread, Jason. What an undertaking! :clap:

Several questions:

How did you come into possession of the engine? Is it out of an 850? What is the expected HP output?

How did you adapt the engine mounts?

And most importantly how will it mate to the transaxle, and (as Brian has alluded to) if it's still stock what are your plans for dealing with the additional power?

Will be watching with great interest for the final results of the project. Should be a holy terror on the streets! :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Thank you all for your positive words.

A little update - I have cleaned up the wiring, and today I will install the Rad.

Yesterday I had to pull and then reinstall the transaxle due to a problem with the clutch - it would not disengage. Also - the retainer clip slipped off.

I used safety wire to correct it this time.

To answer some of the questions - the motor was out of a 1988 BMW 750. The adapter plate and flywheel were custom made by a friend of mine. I expect output of 325 HP due to a free flowing exhaust. (stock they were 300)

And - if the transmission breaks - I will have whatever breaks duplicated with stronger materials (by my friend with a machine shop who loves these types of challenges - good thing) -

I have a spare transmission - and next year I may have my friend make straight cut gears out of hard metal to replace the stock ones.

next year I may have my friend make straight cut gears out of hard metal to replace the stock ones.

Dont think that will help the stop the ally casting deforming under load. You could remake the housing out of steel plates?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

it's alive!!

Great project, thanks for spending the time to update us.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Where is this project up to now? After the run I went on and hearing the Ferraris and Lambos up close, an esprit with a V12 may have a really interesting note.

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I actually have the muffler done, and I am still working on a few things - I can actually drive it down the street - but it needs a wheel alignment, and an interior - as well as some paint, ahh - the list goes on and on.

I was working on it today - I am trying to bleed the air from the coolant system - but it is not working out too well for me.

Go to Youtube and look up "Lotus Esprit - BMW v12" - there are a few videos in there of the car running and the muffler.

I just realized that there is only one video on this post - here are a few more - one of me driving it without a set of mufflers and a very out of adjustment shift linkage. I have since fixed both problems.

Edited by USAndretti42
Changed links to embedded media

That sounds like a speedboat when it's ticking over. Awesome! clap.gif

WOW! I wanna hear that baby driving with the mufflers! That's an awesome sound!!!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.