free hit
counters
Stupid Question About Turbos? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Stupid Question About Turbos?

Hi...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's just I have never owned a twin turbo car before (always been single turbo). If you had a defective turbo (which I do, offside pissing oil, wastegate seaized etc) and it was producing less (or almost no) boost, would the other turbo compensate by producing more boost, the solenoid sending a signal to keep the wastegate closed for longer to achieve the 12(ish) psi the engine expects on full boost?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think so. I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen without disassembling anything is that the design of our two turbo system is such that one turbo provides boost only to one bank of cylinders, thus the need for two turbos to provide boost to both banks. If it is in fact designed the way I perceive it, you should only produce boost in one bank.

Thanks....

It's really strange as I was taking the car back to the grage this morning and having the other turbo replaced (nearside was done last week). I had fitted a turbo boost gauge over the weekend and on the way through was getting 12.5psi reading when in 5th and on full boost. However, I know the offside turbo is knackered and the car felt really sluggish, took ages for the boost to build up....

Perhaps this is all in my head due to me knowing that other turbo is on its way out....

Thanks anyhow!

As half the boost at a given rpm is being lost (due to the none working turbo) the wastegate on the good turbo will stay open for longer. So at higher revs it will 'work harder' than it would if there were two good turbos.

What I don't know is how much boost a single standard turbo can produce and if a single turbo can generate 12psi. I'd guess that if it could, it would be generated with a lot of heat and be in the in-efficient operating range of the turbo. There are a few people on this forum who are far better informed than I am on this issue, so hopefully they will post later.

Regards,

Peter.

The plenum combines the boost from both turbos. Hence the single MAP sensor and single boost hose going to the boost solenoid.

I don't really think so. I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen without disassembling anything is that the design of our two turbo system is such that one turbo provides boost only to one bank of cylinders, thus the need for two turbos to provide boost to both banks. If it is in fact designed the way I perceive it, you should only produce boost in one bank.

Hi Buckster,

No - it doesn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Hi...

Thanks for the responses, made interesting reading...

Yeah, I had replaced the nearside turbo (inc actuator, water pipes, oil pipes, bolts etc) last week but the Offside packed in when I went to collect the car, typical...!

The car was taken back to the garage this morning to have the other side done, was just opening up a little on the way through to see what boost was being produced, apart fro that I kept it under 3K revs all the way through.

Am looking forward to getting it back and loving the sound of those decats (+ my larini) although fairly sure my neighbours are not.... :)

Cheers