free hit
counters
restoration of my 88 modified - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I am absolutely astonished over the wonderful level of craftsmanship that has gone into this project (including the engine polishing by the previous [forum member?] owner. It is amazingly uniform, symmetrical, and "fitted"--every detail having been thought out degrees and levels beyond that of the simple hobbyist or dilettante.

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 1

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a long time ago......... A lot has happened since but only a small amount of work on the esprit... Escape from this forum has lent me the chassis of his burnt esprit for me to test f

I did this to a Porsche. Best thing I ever did. Reliable. Great heating. Easy cold start. Gobs of power. No concern about breaking the robust engine. Very pleased. My only recommendation would be to k

Posted Images

Next was our trip to england to have the first mapping done in Rainham at Track and Road performance.

The reason for all this to take place in England is that I heard Steve Greenald at Track and Road has lots of experience with DTA and Esprits.

The first mapping is done without the body so it would be easier to do some additional work if needed.

We had a few issues with the fuel pressure and a few sensors which will need some sorting out.

At the end of the day we stopped at 260bhp at 6250 rpm an 0.5bar boost.

There is more to be had but it can wait till the car is ready.

post-5162-0-94453300-1396473902.jpg

Steve and Jim doing their thing

post-5162-0-89177300-1396474045.jpg

Result for now

post-5162-0-66398000-1396474075.jpg

The usual mapping picture....

Now it is back to work on the body so the whole "contraption" as Steve calls it can start to look like 

a car again.

Wow.. Still loving this thread! What a great idea to put it on the dyno before putting the body on... Brilliant!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 6 months later...

We are still going on....lots of small jobs

post-5162-0-12261700-1414917546.jpg

Body onto the chassis using a chain hoist and a pallet stacker, worked great.

post-5162-0-18021400-1414917681.jpg

start to look like a car again.

Have to make up my mind for the v8 or the sports 350 spoiler..

post-5162-0-05188800-1414917776.jpg

New alu tanks in.

post-5162-0-61876200-1414917818.jpg

modified corsa power steering (as hilly's)

post-5162-0-74431300-1414918035.jpg

and again a lot of wiring to do...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interior starting to look like something again....

post-5162-0-81699400-1431978283.jpg

How did I miss this thread?

COr,

Thanks for sharing!  Some great work in there!

I second that! Great work Cor, images of stripped down Esprit's are oddly fascinating :).

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• 7 months later...

Finally some pictures of the finished car. Turned out great, A real event to drive. 

Doing the final tweaks on the motormanagement. Some pictures of the engine compartment will follow.

DSC_9929_zpsvkl8gv1u.jpg

DSC_9927_zpsoambn9ag.jpg

DSC_9923_zpsgrcpwijt.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding work Corr, I trust you didn't like the sport 350 wing or the interior with sport 300 seats :( looks great though and the standard of the work looks second to none! Only gripe is you've shifted the steering wheel to the wrong side, that must have been a task and a half! I take my hat off to you sir and it's great to see my old car looking so good!

Well done Sir!

Mark :)

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Freek,

wheels are from azev  

front  8,5x18  tyres  225x40

rear 9,5x19  tyres  275x30

do not know the et would have to get them of and measure if needed.

Mark,

Seats we have now are nearly the same as sport 300 other ones were sold to another lotus forums member, spoiler was a difficult dicision, still have the sport 350 spoiler...

Thanks for the compliments

John, thanks!

manifold and exhaust are home made.

I have used 2 simons mufflers  76mm internal diameter.

Sounds nice but a sound track:blush:?? will ask my son

Hi Cor,

Thanks for sharing the end result of your great Building project. I take good care of the Sport300 seats, which have been retrimmed in full magnolia leather and subframes slightly modified to fit directly in my SE. Also added titanium bolts and nuts etc.

Great thread! What is the end result of engine power?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 1 month later...

Jacques,

The car has not been on the rolling road since it is finished. I am really enjoying it as it is at the moment.

Love the detailling on your car if I ever could get the patience to threat my car like that.......

Since the esprit build we are already doing the next car, a lotus europa s2.

This is going to be a track day car with a hint of europa 47. 

Ford duratec 2.5 mated to a porsche boxster gearbox........

Regards Cor

To all of you!

Thanks ..but I really have a problem...

I am playing with the idea to do an engine swap to the esprit.......

Getting out the complete drivetrain, gearbox turbo exhaust management intercooler etc and sell this on.

The new drivetrain would be NA Audi or BMW V8 or even V10, Audi gearbox........

Bearing in mind this is by no means an original car so........

Please feel free to share me your thoughts.

I did this to a Porsche. Best thing I ever did. Reliable. Great heating. Easy cold start. Gobs of power. No concern about breaking the robust engine. Very pleased. My only recommendation would be to keep the original engine. 

• Like 2

Looking at your car Cor, can someone please tell me that this magnificent car is old fashioned and out of date? Take a look at the brand new tt for example and compare it with this great car. Siiigghhhhhh, so boring these days. Nah, this Esprit was made when someone actually dared design a car, not a piece of soap or a coffee machine, like todays youngsters....

Great car. Great project. Great Work.

Jacques.

thank you Jacques!

I often have a discussion with my son that you, me and a lot of us on here are very lucky to have a dream car that is a bit affordable.

I have a few lotusses but this for me is the supercar I would buy if I was a rich person! Technically it would be different

but the shape would certainly be an Esprit....GT1.

My son's dream car is the ferrari F40, wich I am afraid will always be out of reach for him...

Cor

I agree, but the F40 is an Esprit on steroids. I mean, if Lotus had the budget that Ferrari had, their car would be similar. They made many of the same techniques, composite bodyshell and then some, just to another budget. In my view, it's more easy to design a car like the F40 with a huge budget, and over a longish timeframe, rather than do what Lotus did, to design a supercar with such great solutions, on a very very small budget, and in a short time.

While the F40 is nearly the only Ferrari I like, and it surely is a true supercar with performance and abilities to match, I instead choose to take my hat off and bow to the Esprit instead. In my humble view, it's a bigger accomplishment.

It takes a good cook to make good food with everything at their dispossal, but it takes a great cook to make great food out of nearly nothing.

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Plans for the engine swap are getting more visual.

Engine is bought, a Lexus v8. To give this engine a more supercar sound it is getting hotter cams, BMW M3 ITB's  aluminium fly wheel and custom exhaust headers.

Gear box is going to be an Audi V8.

To make preparations for the swap it would be great if somebody could borrow me a seperate chassis, i would be glad to pay some rent for it...

Does anybody have one lying around???

regards Cor