free hit
counters
restoration of my 88 modified - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

restoration of my 88 modified

A very short introduction, my name is Cor van Nistelrooij and just staring the restoration os a car some af you will know. It's the car of Mark Mackenzie. A description of this car can be seen on

Lotus Esprit World. Mark has modified this car much to my likings. As it has an engine failure the engine was out of the car. Looking at the state of the car i decided to take the complete car apart \and start all over with it. I will try to do an update now and then. Also I will ask for advice which this forum already provided to my delight.post-5162-1243547681_thumb.jpg

The car as we transported it from Scotland to Holand

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Engine failure ----????

Remember Mark's car always loved the polished look of the head - yum.

thought it was a turbo (modified) not an se though.

Good luck.

Edited by SE Owner :-D

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Rog, you are right is a turbo, chargecooler was added later. Have to work out how to edit my post, resize pictures and update because i am already well underway. Polished engine is going to look great once reassembled. Car has had a liner failure, hgf and a small seizure. Engine was out and the head dismantled when I bought it. The car has spent some time in a very moist envirement wich has done it no good.

Kneedragger, wheels are 19"/18" azef m wheels.

Cor

To bad Mark gave up.And you have a good one,how I see it.

Then you only have to get the engine togeter.

One if the thing I find that helped my modyfied engine most was putting a aftermarked modern ECU on it.Then I tuned the timing/lamda to perfection so it worked 100%.Modifyed engines works best with custom mapping on the ecu..This esprit engines seams to be pretty good with the right mods to it.I have one with 500bhp with modifyed stock internals I use for track days,limit my self to 10min track work.But having problems to get the headgasked to last because if the liners with smal area to clamp agains the gasked.But there is solutions that solve this 100%.Pistons,rods is in very good quality.The crank is the next limit,how i see it.

Do you have a pic of the broken piston/liner?I suspect it had something to do with the tuning,to lean or to much timing.It can also happen running way to rich,washing down the liners for oil and beginn to make up/down skratshes in the piston.

You dont need to invest large money to get this engine to last with 400bhp.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Cor - the 'moist environment' you refer to is known as SCOTLAND!
:D:)

Rydning, thanks for the info!

I plan to do more than put the engine together....

this is a pic of the liner

post-5162-1243973507_thumb.jpg

Mark has equiped the car with a DTA S60 pro and innovate lc1 wideband. So i think this is covered! I am planning on a fast road car so I am aiming at 300bhp. With the parts Mark supplied with the car i think this will be possible.

thanks Cor

Hey Bob :) :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

just some pictures of the state the car was in:

P1070123.jpg

P1070122.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

Now for the more serious work, Blessed with the help of friends, Bob, Chris and son Luuk the body was lifted of to have a good acces tu the chassis and suspension parts:

P1070169.jpg

P1070171.jpg

P1070177.jpg

Luuk checking out if it still shifts......

P1070180.jpg

Edited by cor

To store the body a transportation frame was made with wheels so it can be moved around on dummy wheels, no 18'' ones here:

DSC01997.jpg

here the body is in its temporaily home, a cellar of a friend of mine.

DSC02005.jpg

Now it is back to the chassis, rubbing of the old paint layers and painting the chassis.

There is not so much rust as the chassis was galvanised, only the shock absorbers at the rear and the beam in the front show some rust.

Edited by cor

Hello, Nellie,

i intend to paint the chassis with por 15, heard a lot of good words on this so i should give it a try. I have all the old coating off now and cleaned the complete chassis, which was one h :( ll of a job. This is the chassis at the moment:

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02196.jpg

Cor

Edited by USAndretti42

:( You don't muck about do you! :( :( :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Cor,

Wow as said earlier you certainly don't hang about.

The progress on the chassis is amazing, I have used POR15 on the rear of my chassis and it looks stunning when complete. Wish I had the time to take it as far as yours but I still enjoy looking at how good the car looks underneath.

Looking forward to watching this project come to fruition, this was a stunning car already can't wait to see the finished project.

Nellie :(

Well...eh.. I am doing the best I can.

Sure helps me a lot reading through posts on LEF for making my decisions.

Peter, I had noticed the chassis, but I will make my car LHD but am doing this

with its current chassis. I think this is going to cost me a lot less and i need the

funds for my other "project"" as Bob hinted!

Did you find the root cause for the engine failure?

I noticed that the DTA 60S does not support knock sensors.

Do you need that for tuning and running a 300HP EFI Esprit?

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by bosbon_be

Hello, Peter,

I think it should be no problem getting 300 bhp without the knock sensor with the parts that are with the car. But it is a long way to go before I get to that point.

Cor

• 2 weeks later...

Well, only little progress, as said i must divide my time....

Chassis was painted with por 15:

P1070728t.jpg

P1070732.jpg

Was glad with bob,s and luuk's help as this is not the most pleasant work.

Cor