free hit
counters
clutch esprit GT3 1999 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Can anyone help,New Gearbox & Clutch fitted at hethel 2002 under warranty.2007 new slave cyl fitted.last 12 mnths slight leak from slave,went out today difficult to engage gears had to come home with car creeping with clutch pedal fully down,managed to get car in garage at home.when pressing clutch pedal in neutral can here shallow tin noise whisping sound,revved engine noise subsided but still cannot engage a gear.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess you either still have insufficient fluid in the reservoir or (more likely) you have air in the line between the master cylinder and slave cylinder.Top up the fluid and bleed it and it should cure the symptom. To cure the problem you will need to replace the slave cylinder if it's the cause of the leak.

The concern is: Is the noise caused by the slave cylinder only moving sufficiently to start to engage the throw out bearing or is it that the bearing or pressure plate has issues? It's hard to say for certainty which of these is the case, but for the sake of 1/2l of suitable fluid, assume the former.

Andy

Hi Andy,Thankyou for your comments on my GT3 clutch problem.I shall bleed it over the weekend and hopefully it will resolve the symptom.The slave cyl.is only a couple of years old,done about 4k miles and was a genuine replacement.This will be the third or 4th replacement over 8 yrs,is this normal?. When the car came back from Hethel with new Gearbox @ Clutch the biting point was,and still is with the pedal just slightly off the floor,with about 10mm loose at top of pedal before start of engagement.Also did i read correctly that the slave cyl is the same as used on the Landrover series 2,and costs around

Yep, you can use the Landy salve cylinder, but it has an imperial threaded hole and the Lotus uses metric, so you just need an adapter / piece of pie with the different fittings (cost of bits around 30p I guess).

It shouldn't be going through slave cylinders that quickly, unless it's not used frequently, and the corrosion is destroying the seals, there was another person mentioning exactly that issue just a few days ago (does that qualify as a trend?).

Do you know thread sizes for adaptor & length of pipe reqd.?where to buy these?. I think you could be right about corrosion to seals as there are signs of corrosion to body and push rod of slave,and the car is garaged for most of winter,and infrequently used about 1200k per year.

I remember the bleed nipple had to be changed, if I could lay my hands on the old cylinder I'd probably remember why.

Anyway, the adapter would be male imperial fitting (I think it was the standard size imperial, but can't remember what that is although it's approx 3/8 outside diameter it may be a 1/4 BSP fitting or something), female metric (10x1mm).

Hi Andy,GT3 Clutch Problem,Bled clutch using a good 1/2 litre of fluid dot 4 initial spurts of old fluid quite discoloured and did final purge to slave by pushing rod all of the way into slave to expel any air trapped inside slave etc.... Went thro gear changes whilst engine not running and seemed to be ok.started engine would not engage any gear(brick walled).stopped engine pumped pedal a few times selected gear whilst engine stopped, started engine with selected first gear and pedal fully depressed,biting slightly and would not disengage to neutral till stopped engine. any ideas as what it could be, and what i should do now,i am concerned this could turn out to be expensive.Do u know of any reliable Esprit orientated persons in north West who could do any repairs in my garage at home.

I'm thinking that you have one / more of the following.

Air in the system

Seals in the master cylinder that are failing

Incorrectly adjusted push rod bolt.

I don't know anybody close to Manchester, but a post to the local area groups may turn somebody up.

Just digressing away from clutches for a moment,and for anyone who may be reading this,i moved away from the Lotus recommended engine oil and grade years ago and use Millers motorsport 10/60 fully synthetic,which i find to be an incredible oil,and is so well suited for the 4 cyl.models and cannot praise it enough.Many thousands of pounds were spent on my Esprit whilst it was under 3 years old but thankfully under warranty,during 2001 the car was off the road for 35 wks!i could show you a portfolio 2 inches thick,my analogy of all these problems were associated with main dealership issues,for whom i lost any faith in whatsoever and have steered well clear ever since.Anyhow didnt lose faith in the Esprit and it looks and runs as good as it did when it came out of the showroom. (think the colour helps its Norfolk mustard!) regards Alan (let you know how i get on)

Hi Alan,

I agree on the Millers front. I have been using millers Semi Synthetic 20/50 for the past couple of years as recommended by Paul Mattys. Unlike Mobil 1 I rarely have to top it up between services.

On the clutch issue give someone like Mattys a call or even technical at the factory. I agree with Andy that now you have bled the slave it is more likely to be the master, or something blocking the line. Have you got the braided upgrade? If not I would recommend it especially if we are going to have a hot summer, before I did mine anything near 30 degrees and no 2nd or reverse gear.

Ade

Alan

Where abouts are you? I'm in Westhoughton and have been running & repairing (my own) Esprits for 20 years....

feel free to drop me a PM for any advice.

cheers Steve

Edited by 910Esprit

Hi Steve,Live just outside of Tyldesley,give us a call on 07815 431811 or 0161 702 8852 Wednesday before i get car recovered

Hi Steve,thanks for ur response looking forward to speaking to you,u know what is like,Always get stressed when a problem comes up with the Esprit.Probably because had so many bad experiences in the past when it was under warranty.I have learned with the car over the years,love tinkering not to much in depth,changing oil @ filters regularly etc.....When Ive sent the car away in past always have other probs.after.Anyhow speak later.Regards Alan.

Well the gearbox is out and a diagnosis made....

The release bearing appears to have skimmed the end off the clutch fingers, allowing most of the release bearing to push through the the clutch cover. Seems fairly odd, as the release bearing is perfectly serviceable - I could understand it, if it was seized.

I seem to recall similar failures here.

Steve