free hit
counters
Reading Fault Codes without Freescan ? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Reading Fault Codes without Freescan ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in section EMH.1 page 9:

You must connect pins A and B of the ALDL plug. Then turn the key but do NOT starT/crank the engine.

The code is as follows: for code 26 for example, it will blink the CEL twice ('2'), then a short pause, then will blink it 6 times ('6').

If no troubles codes are present, it will flash code '12', which just means that the diagnostic is running.

I think that even if there is a code present, it will flash code 12 first anyway, then the actual trouble code.

• 1 year later...

I've got a 1990 Esprit SE. What does it mean when nothing happens when I try to get the trouble codes? I connect pin A and B of the ALDL, turn the key on (not starting the car), and the check engine light just stays on. After a couple of minutes the check engine light goes off. I've tried the ALDL under the glove box, and the one in the boot's relay box.

By the way, the link in matk's post is dead.

Thanks,

Dan

it sounds like the jumper isn't working, however the CEL turning off is a little unusual. The CEL should stay lit at all times when the key is on, engine off, unless diagnostic mode is initiated by jumping A and B, in which case the light should begin to flash codes. Pin A should be the ground pin, so would make sure that is in fact grounded (confirm with multimeter). Basically to initiate the diagnostic CEL flashing your just grounding the diagnostic pin, so you could try making a lead wire with alligator clip that will reach a suitable grounding point and connect the other end to pin B.