free hit
counters
The Red Hose - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello All,

I don't drive my car much as I'm overseas so much but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the gera change was getting tough once the car was warmed up

Looking on this site it is often mention that the "red hose" needs replacing as it is a common issue. Can someone please tell me where to look for this so I can see if it is the problem?

Car is a 1988 turbo

Many thanks,

Jerry

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry,

From the clutch master cylinder down to the clutch slave cylinder. Mine was plumbed in copper by one of the PO's and I don't have any trouble. I think a lot of people go for a braided line to replace it.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

If it's not clutch related, ie red hose syndrome, try the following, disconnect the cables from the translator on the side of the gearbox, the gear lever should move freely in all directions, if not could be cables, check these are as far from the turbo as possible to avoid heat, make sure the outer casing does not show signs of excess heat.

The are bearings inside the aluminium casting of the translator, (my problem similar symptoms, was bearings stuffed) may need replacing, I might even have the SKF part number some where!

Then have fun adjusting up the linkage again, I spent a full day on it, but really improved acceleration with faster gear changes.

Roger :lol:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Okay thanks for that. Am in country in a couple of weeks thus will have a look.

I'm no mechanic to be honest but can do basic work.I'll report back what I find.

Cheers, Jerry

302947-4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/roa...ne/302947-4.jpg

Have found this pic of the car and clutch etc. Is that the red hose on the right?

Cheers, Jerry

No, thats part of the Aircon pipework going to the drier.

Look at the slave cylinder in the engine bay. The red hose will go

there, or it will be braided steel. You are looking for a 1cm tube

that is red, but translucent.

clutchhose_06.jpg

Here it is at the front of the car:

clutchhose_05.jpg

And here's a guide to changing it:

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EGuides/...clutchhose.html

:lol:

Wow, that makes it very clear, and it does look like a pretty crap piece of pipe. I hope it is there on my car as it sounds like an easy fix if that is the cause.

Thanks and I'll report back when I am back in Oz.

Cheers, Jerry

• 1 month later...

G'day Folks,

As promised a reply.

I have a very new looking braided pipe. Have not driven it yet but it maybe me that has a issue with changing gear.

Anyway,I need to take it for a long drive so will see how it goes.

Cheers, Jerry

I have had a very similar problem, I have difficulty in changing gear when the car was hot. I had replaced the RED HOSE, new slave, new master cylinder, new / refurbished translator, re greased gear lever mechanisum. This made the gear change much better but it still was difficult when hot - the answer was clutch adjustment, my slave cylinder was set at the end of its travel and was not clearing properly. Andy Clements did hte adjustment for me, it now great and works a treat even when hot. So check the slave cylinder and pedal adjustment.

Hope this helps

Dave

That,s very interesting and thanks.

Once driven I'll report back yet again.

One thought, as the slave cylinder is an old BL part, can I use my Haines Land Rover manual to do the adjustment? Or am I way out of line!

Cheers, Jerry

Hi, u need to use the lotus manual, setting the pedal, then setting the position of the slave cylinder. I think if you do a search on this site you will get further info on set up.

Have Fun

Dave

When doing Dave's it was a bit more guesswork than anything, as I didn't have the dimensions of the original part , the shaft we made was, what felt right and then we adjusted to feel.

There is talk that the Landy one has a different distance from end of piston to mating face, if that is the case you would really want to alter the length of your shaft to suit.