free hit
counters
Hello You Lucky Esprit Owners - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello You Lucky Esprit Owners

SimonE

Big Hello from Sheffield. Just bought an 81 Esprit Turbo to add to my Lotus family. Its a none starter er at the moment (the previous owner thinks it may have dropped its valves) - pick it up next Saturday, so I will be inundating the board with many questions over the coming months

Owned 3 Esprits in the past S1, S2 JPS and S3 Turbo - last one approx 21 years ago - looking forward to getting my new baby back up and running

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome Simon, good luck with the car :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome aboard matey.

Keep us posted and lets have some photies

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Cheers

Yep, hope for the best, prepare for the worst but I'll be satisfied whatever the problem is. Yep its an v early Turbo on a W reg. Will post up some piccies as soon as I can.

Great looking .i recall seeing the car for sale in the past .i think on ebay .With referance to the registration PPW james bond..........i really think there is something special about early turbos .Cheers Mike

Hmmm...

Any record of that car living in the Southampton/Portsmouth area of the world in recent years?

Looked at a car just like that a few years ago with a friend who bought another car - it also had the window frames sprayed red...

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Records show;

1990 to 2007 Essex

2007 to 2008 Bristol

2008 to 2009 Scotland

2009 - Forever Sheffield

:(

Ian if your Esprit was featured in Classic Car v Fezza 308 article we talked last year at a Classic Car meet in Cotswolds? - me and the missus were touring in a hired AM V8 - 25 years wed :(

Edited by SimonE

Prolly not the Esprit we looked at then!

Cotswolds - would that have been the Chipping Norton show? I remember talking to you - well done on coming back to the fold! :(

Just need to get mine back on the road now!

Iain

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Welcome.

My dad had many PPW registrations and as Mike mentioned many famous cars had that resitration number.

Any questions here's the place to ask.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Cheers all - looks like there will be plenty of questions. Took covers off the castles today - camshaft lobes have shattered 1 inlet and 5 exhaust cam followers - metal shards in the plenum. Expecting the worst when I take off the head..

• 3 months later...

Update:

Head was total scrap - nice fully reconditioned head now sitting in the garge and a new turbo unit waiting to be fitted :lol:

New radiator, oil cooler and a couple of replacement cooling fans now fitted. All front fixings replaced with rivnuts and stainless. - after weeks of patient dremelling...

Finally extracted headless engine and gearbox yesterday, what an awkward blighter it was to get out - engine lift was a touch undersize for the job, but with a bit of coaxing it finally came out

Initial thoughts are it looks ok (except for 2 very damaged piston crowns and a few gouges in their respective liners) with no evidence of metal bits in the oil.

I think the scavenge pump is the biggest concern and making sure there are no bits of metal left in the oil ways. So its strip the engine down and check bearings, etc

Suggestions welcomed on whats the best way to clean out the oil pipework out from pump to oil cooler and from oil cooler to header tank?

Cheers

Simon

Yep I thought it was a decent price (until the seller told me he was sending it to the scrapyard if he hadn't sold it that week!!!) and its had a fair bit of money lavished on it over the years - but been neglected over the last couple, mileage seems to be genuine 50k - I'll decide on bumpers, window surrounds,etc once back on road - hopefully next month :D