free hit
counters
TLF Fat Club - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Fat Club

Simon350S

Atkins for me - works a treat and none of that unpleasant exercise required!

Am off it at the moment though due to the lure of sitting in the sun and drinking iced cider.....

The electronic smoking also helps - I'm always a stone heavier when I stop smoking and it definitely isn't due to eating more - there is a definite effect on metabolic rate.

Good luck with the weight loss!

Tim B

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 2006 I went from 118 ish kg to just about 100-102 by this method over about a 6 month period.

Mentally agreed (and with wife) that at 110kg I could have a new set of wheels and tyres for my (Chinese) car.

At 105kg I would have a new suspension kit (shocks/springs) for trackdays.

At 100kg I could implement a full turbo conversion.

Unfortunately this was when we lived in China, at about 103kg ish with wheels and suspension sorted I decided I was not going to extend my stay and therefore didn't have time to implement the turbo conversion so I lost interest.

Back in England I haven't really had the time/ cash to set up a similar scheme with my Esprit (too many house/ children/ work/ general maintenance issues). Consequently I am now back above 110.

I imagine that if I had stayed out in China, I would probably now be at about 80kg and would possibly hold the lap record at Tianma circuit.

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

Simon

My mrs studied Obesity and dieting for her Dissitation. Please note the following.

Theres controlling your calories and then calorie controling you! You are taking on half as much as you need to get through a day. With the increase in exercise your body will start using your muscles as energy. You are currently giving your body mixed signals. You need to eat more calories but in a controlled way, no fat, high protein, low Carb and this way your body will burn fat while your muscles are not used for energy because of the protein you are eating. You will not be hungry and will not yo yo.

Don't forget. A starvation diet means you will lose muscle mass then when you come off the diet your body will put on fat, not muscle. It's a negative diet. Control your calories. Keep a book to monitor yourself. If you get hungry snack on an apple or a salad.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I agree with Kimbers - a lot of people starve themselves when trying to lose weight quickly which really messes the body up.

1. Youre not getting the correct nutrients

2. your body will rush for food, the moment you eat it will store as much as it can into fat becasue by starving your body is thinking it needs to store food for the long periods when you're not eating.

This is why it's critical when you're on a high protie diet to not exercise hard (I know, you goto the gym and just go mental)

Remeber Protien has a calorific value (same as carb) you could eat 4000 calories of protien a day and do next to no exercise (apart from 30 trips to the loo :cry:) and lose weight !!!

I know is a bit ginger beer but try the weight loss shakes, I take a protien shake every day which has all the daily rubbish in your bod needs - mine tastes bloody lovely (although some of them are rough as you like).

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Yes Jon. Spot on.

It's the way the body uses the different forms of energy tho. If you eat too many carbs your body uses the carbs for energy meaning you burn less fat. Something it doesn't use Protein for. When you eat Protein the body will first look to fat to burn. This is why Atkins is so successful. Once your body has got used to burning fat instead of Carbs (cause you don't eat any) it's great (but does have negative effects in the long term).

However, if you are working out in the gym regularly I still recommend a certain amount of Carbohydrate or else you will run out of steam and eventually you may even be ill. But see below and make them "Good Carbs" not bad.

Please think twice before carrying on such a low calorie diet!!

Heres some info to help you Simon:

Protein:

How does your body use protein from food? Protein helps to maintain and replace the tissues in your body, and it’s found in almost every living cell and fluid. Your muscles, organs and many of your hormones are made up of protein, and it is also used in the manufacture of hemoglobin, the red blood cells that carry oxygen to your body. Protein is also used to manufacture antibodies that fight infection and disease and is integral to your body's blood clotting ability. Both children and adults need plenty of protein to grow and develop.

Good Sources of Protein

Good low- or nonfat sources of protein include:

Beef, poultry, pork and lamb

Fish and shellfish

Dairy products, including cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt and milk

Eggs, egg whites or egg substitutes

Dry beans, peas, oats and legumes

Tofu and soy products

Nuts and seeds

Carbs

Carbohydrate-rich foods are the primary source of energy for all body functions. Your body breaks down carbohydrates, or carbs, into fuel for use by your cells and muscles - that's why eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates is necessary for most people. There are two types of carbs - sugars and starches. Sugars are simple carbohydrates that can be easily digested by your body and include foods like cake, soda, candy, jellies and fruits. Starches are complex carbohydrates that take longer to be digested and include foods such as breads, grains, pasta, tortillas, noodles, fruits and vegetables.

Many carbohydrate-rich foods are loaded with other nutrients. Fruits and vegetables are not only great carbohydrate sources, they’re also excellent suppliers of vitamins A and C and many other vitamins and minerals. Most dairy products are also great sources of carbohydrates.

Some foods rich in carbohydrates have fewer nutrients. Some foods rich in carbohydrates have fewer nutrients. Foods made from sugar (white, brown, powdered and raw) as well as corn syrup, honey and molasses are simple carbohydrates that provide little to the diet except extra calories, and too many extra calories in the diet can lead to excess body fat

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I wouldn't have thought 1200 per day was a massively low calorie diet, if the average man uses 2000 a day that's still over half. It's not like the VLCD's that have you on 600 a day (which I managed for a week before I had to eat real food again!).

I decided (on a whim) last October to try the latest miracle diet (Lipotrim) from a local pharmacy. Basically it was a total meal replacement - like a milkshake but made with water. The idea is to take NOTHING else but water (and two 'shakes' a day). They promise 1

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I could write a book on diets and weightloss, I have most definitely been there, got the T-shirt. What pisses me of most about the dieting industry, is that it bangs on about diets. And, that there is very little on weight maintenance. Just one bloody miracle diet after another.

My main dieting tip? DON'T GO ON A DIET. Change your lifestyle and stick to it. I agree with Laura, it's working out what works for you. Atkins way of life works for her, it did not work for me. After years of trial and error I also figured out what worked and works for me, and I lost fourteen and a half stones. And, I have kept it off, now a svelte 8-10.

Last year I took up running and earlier this year I completed my first half marathon.

Next tip.... If you don't pick it up it can't happen.

And....stay out of the kitchen!

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Katie....jolly well done!! I know well how difficult that is....my weight has been up and down continually over the last 50 years; I remain reasonably fit, but I find that once having got down to something reasonable, boredom sets in and it very slowly edges back up again. Losing 14 1/2 stones is awe inspiring,and very encouraging. I only want to lose about 10 stone; but that seems a mammoth task! I used to run a lot, and that kept the weight in check..5 miles a day in about half an hour; then a Doctor friend of mine told me that if I continued, by the time I got to his age (not far from mine, now!) I'd be in a wheelchair with completely knackered joints. So today it's cycling for me, zero impact stuff. Done 7lb in the last 10 days, as usual at the start of a fitness kick, the weight comes off as the fluids go. I find 2 to 3 lb a week is about it, sort of 1/2 lb a day..and persevere!! My health problems have fostered a "sod-it-why-not" attitude since diagnosis..but since it seems I may well be still here for a bit, worth some effort at cudgelling the body back into a more reasonable state.

Interesting for all of us to realise We Are Not Alone....!!

Oh yes.......NO MORE PIES!!!!!!!!!

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Katie, I'm glad you posted in this thread. It's your words of not going on a diet and changing your way of eating that have encouraged me to loose weight & shed 3 stone while I still can instead of having to shed 4, 5, 6..... stone.

Even I feel proud of you so you should be even more proud and it goes without saying that you look fantastic now, like a whole new woman and I just know you're a determined enough woman to stay looking great.

Wow Katie! :( your an inspiration!

Its good to hear so many of us are trying our hardest to change for the better and hearing about the different ways people are doing it is interesting!

No gym today, decided to finish early and come home to see Lisa....

Lisa treated me to a BBQ for dinner as a well done for the good work so far....! :cry:

DSC04551.jpg

Kebabs! One turkey and one lean beef with a fresh 'Lisa Signature' salsa and a 'little' light dressing in a wrap..

Very lush! and I'm left feeling alot cleaner (? lack of fats) than if we'd had burgers and saussages in baps! :)

Feelin good :)

Chunky Lover

All this talk of loosing weight (and I should), made me reference my bible for all things important - "Viz Top Tips". Fortunately I went straight to the "Health & Hygiene" section and found the definitive tip on the subject:

LOOSE weight quickly by eating raw pork or rancid tuna. I found that the subsequent food poisoning/diarrhoea enabled me to lose 12 pounds in only two days.

K. Dellassus

Newcastle

So whats the best way to PUT ON weight?

Just hopped on scales, shows 132lb (or 60kg) I have always weighed the same, can still wear the suit I got married in about 15 years ago. Drink on average 4 pints of ale a night with the odd bottle of red thrown in, eat anything I fancy from curry/thai/chinese/pizza/pasta etc not a chocolate lover though, still got 3 easter eggs in the fridge!

My mates reckon I'm from the planet Zarg! (they could be right!!) :( Still, it's nice to still wear trousers with a "30" waist..

:cry:

Ditto

I was recently weighed at 64kgs - have been for years - before that I was even lighter!

I can eat anything I like and don't put on weight.

Sometimes it can be a problem - if I am ill and don't eat then I worry about not having enough reserves in my body to keep me going.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

That is quite remarkable, and some people are just built that way.

I have to say, when I was big, it used to really piss me off when a slim or slimmer person had a go about my dietary choices. Quite often these would be people who were fortunate not to have to worry about what they ate or drank, or smoked. Live badly long enough, and it will catch up with you. I think what I am trying to say without wanting to cause any offence, is that a slim person is not necessarily a healthy one.. I share a house with someone who is slim, permanantly so, but has a pretty poor diet to say the least.

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Coincidently, someone sent me this today.

> > Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can

> > prolong life.

> > Is this true?

> > A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's

> > it... don't waste them on exercise.

> > Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart

> > will not make you live longer;

> > that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by

> > driving it faster.

> > Want to live longer? Take a nap.

> > Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and

> > vegetables?

> > A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow

> > eat? Hay and corn.

> > And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing

> > more than an efficient

> > mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need

> > grain? Eat chicken.

> > Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy

> > vegetable).

> > And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended

> > daily allowance of vegetable products.

> > Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

> > A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is

> > distilled wine,

> > that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so

> > you get even more

> > of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain.

> > Bottoms up!

> > Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

> > A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is

> > one to one.

> > If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

> > Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a

> > regular exercise program?

> > A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No

> > Pain...Good!

> > Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

> > A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days

> > in vegetable oil.

> > In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting

> > more vegetables be bad for you?

> > Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft

> > around the middle?

> > A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets

> > bigger.

> > You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger

> > stomach.

> > Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

> > A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!!

> > It's the best feel-good food around!

> > Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

> > A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to

> > me.

> > Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

> > A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

> > Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may

> > have had about food and diets.

> > And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in > > an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - > > chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO,

> > What a Ride'

> > AND.....

> > For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final

> > word on nutrition and health.

> > It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting

> > nutritional studies.

> > 1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart

> > attacks than Americans.

> > 2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart

> > attacks than Americans.

> > 3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer

> > heart attacks than Americans.

> > 4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer

> > heart attacks than Americans.

> > 5. The Germans drink a lot of beers, eat lots of sausages

> > and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

> > CONCLUSION

> > Eat and drink what you like.

> > Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

That is quite remarkable, and some people are just built that way.

I have to say, when I was big, it used to really piss me off when a slim or slimmer person had a go about my dietary choices. Quite often these would be people who were fortunate not to have to worry about what they ate or drank, or smoked. Live badly long enough, and it will catch up with you. I think what I am trying to say without wanting to cause any offence, is that a slim person is not necessarily a healthy one.. I share a house with someone who is slim, permanantly so, but has a pretty poor diet to say the least.

Too true.

I once saw a doctor and he stated that as far as my weight was concerned I would be considered Anorexic. Fortunately I didn't exhibit any of the other symptoms related to anorexia. I did raise my weight (or lack of it) with a GP once and the reply was - are you worried about it? I replied no and they said so where is the problem?

You are right about the diet. I don't consider that I eat a very healthy diet although I do try to eat vegetables etc. Fortunately I guess, my wife does tend to look after her weight and so we tend to eat the same sorts of things. We will be eating a curry on Saturday night and no doubt I will be washing it down with a few pints!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Arg! My brother is like you Dave, has to run around in the shower to get wet!! Can eat anything (infact lives on a diet of takeaways and coke and has a flat stomach and no fat at all!

I only have to see a picture of a cake or burger and I put weight on!

I took the 'let my hair down with Lisa' to mean a chance to work on some quality time stomach crunches :cry: rather than a bacon sandwich. Na wait I've seen the illustration for a bacon sandwich and am sure that'll lose you weight too LOL

Edited by Unity1

If thats what my exercise regime existed of EVERY night I'd be a very happy man!

Takeaway tonight, indian is the food of choice and instead of my usual dishes I think I'm going for a dry chicken Tikka with plain rice and a chippatti (however you spell them! :)

OK thats been changed to a Jalfrezi, according the the internet search stuff its one of the better ones that have a sauce... :cry: I'm not weak!

"Jalfrezi, or jhal frezi, means dry fry and as such this deliciously hot dish does not have much of a gravy"

We'll have to suck it and see, my total calorific intake today has so far been 505 calories and I'm f***in hank marvin!!!! This was not deliberate by the way, just had my normal breakfast and have worked through and as I'm now home and Lisa is back I'm ready to eat!

Please don't judge me! :popo:

No popadoms, no naan bread no chutneys and no onion bahjis!

Chunky Lover

Monday morning weigh in....

And the results are.... 115.4kg..!

That's 3.1kg lost last week, or 6.82lb if ya like.

Very happy with the start, long may it continue.

No gym on the weekend, but redecorating the lounge, fitting new carpet and running the cabling for the tv/entertainment systems through the wall made up for it...!

Chunky Lover

1 lb again this week.....Ha! and it was take away week and I'm laid up with a bad back. B)

Had salad last night with some parma ham, fresh bread and even some Ripe Brie...yummy!