free hit
counters
That dreadful smell of petrol - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Backmarker

That dreadful smell of petrol

I imagine we all have that fear that one day we'll discover the smell of petrol in the car.

I thought I noticed the odour a couple of weeks ago but thought nothing of it.

Then these last couple of days I noticed the smell of petrol IN THE HOUSE!

The garage where the Esprit sleeps is next to the kitchen and the smell was quite noticeable.

I tried to convince myself that one of the kids was glue sniffing but eventually plucked up the courage to go into the garage and investigate.

In the garage the smell was even stronger. When I sat in the car I could hardly breathe.

Peter Smith Sportscars agreed to have a look at it so overnight it sat in the garage with both car windows open.

This morning I took the risk and started the car expecting a spark to ignite the garage, the car and yours truly.

I'd equipped myself with two fire extinguishers but made it to the dealership without having to use either.

They've confirmed the nearside tank is shot and is now being replaced.

I should be able to pick the car up on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I wouldn't recommend the experience. It's quite un-nerving.

Another plug for Peter Smith. Not only did they fit me in at very short notice but they re-arranged jobs to ensure I had a courtesy car ( sadly not the Evora they were taking delivery of today) to get myself home.

Thanks.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Haven't experienced this with either Esprit thank goodness Graham but did help out a mate last year with his TVR. One of his neighbours knocked on his front door saying there was a puddle appearing and seeping out under his garage door. On closer inspection his whole garage floor was a pool of petrol.

I agree it is quite worrying/unnearving when you are actually lying on your back in a pool of petrol trying to stem the leek. Ok, it eventually evaporates but not as quick as we'd liked it to have. Rather wait along time before trying to sort similar problem again.

Glad you made it there ok.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It quiet frightens me the way painted metal corrodes in the U.K. I wonder if you have asked them to give the new tank a coat of underseal before it was installed.

When I had the smell of petrol recently, after having the tanks filled, I stripped down the side covers, expecting to see rusting tanks, but fortunately was just the one filler hose had not been seated properly and the petrol went into the foam underneath the plywood covers, so took quite a while for this to evaporate.

What I was pleased with though, was that the 25 year old fuel tanks look brand new. Thank goodness we live in a good climate and we do not have salt thrown on our roads.

Graham, what are they doing to access it? Is it worthwhile to get the other side done at the same time?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Don't know about the V8's, but with the 4 cylinder cars the nearside (Lefthand) tank is the worst..you have to lower the engine to get it out. After a false start, I replaced my tanks with S&Js alloy ones. If only they'd modified the shape/size slightly so that they went in more easily....agree with changing both tanks while they're at it!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The nearside tank on the V8 is also the more difficult of the two to extract.

Having checked with the service guys, very little would be saved in replacing both especially as the offside tank is

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I have a feeling I may be doing this :D as I have that smell and the breathers look ok with the quick glance I gave them. The car is now off the road and I'll gradually sort the few problems with it before it goes back on.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

just had this with the ratty old tasmin

the old girl was sitting in cumbria for a few months, then i drove it onto the trailer

to go to crewe and it stank of petrol

got it off the trailer, drove it onto the drive, leaving a trail of fuel. eek!

on inspection, it wasn't the tanks or high pressure pump side but the RETURN fuel side.

this was the low pressure, cloth covered, old style fuel pipe circa 1980 and

it was totally rotten. there were 7 or 8 bits to replace, very complicated

twin tank return system, typical british engineering, very random!

twisted the pipe in my hands and it literally tored apart

all sorted now, but i haven't even looked at the esprit stuff yet

probably replace it all, full stop

so check all of it! twice!! and get an extinguisher :D

Hi Graham,

I've been away on holiday for past 2 weeks and only just picked up your post. It's a shame about timing as I had my nearside tank go on me last year. I found a company that would take my tank out and back in again for

Thanks Dave,

I did a visual check on the filler neck grommet and it looked ok to me.

I remember doing the check when you started your thread.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Graham, and hopefully it will be all shipshape for Supercar Sunday. Yours is newer than mine so I'll have to do some inspection myself. Where has it corroded through? Any idea of the history of how its been kept for it to rust so quickly?

I haven't inspected the tanks before - doea anyone know how accessible they are and whether its possible to inject some waxoyl to help delay what appears to be the inevitable?

red vtec - check the breathers first along the entire length first anyway. Mine looked OK and were 99% intact, but were rotten and had a small hole which was enough to smell petrol when driving with the window open. Its a bit fiddly but a cheap fix.

Hi David,

It should be back with me on Tuesday or Wednesday so Supercar Sunday won't be a problem.

The tanks are difficult to access, the nearside more so than the offside.

Not sure yet where its corroded but likely to be at the bottom. The underside of the tank is covered in foam which tends to retain water hence the corrosion problem.

The tanks can be lined on the inside but not sure if it works. The stuff can be poured in once the tank is empty of fuel. I think you'd still need to remove the tank to get the best results.

Best means of inspection is your nose! The holes in the tank are so small ( pin size) that you'd probably not see them.

Bad news graham but good news that its getting fixed.

The holes in my tank were about the size of a twenty p.

Stripped all the foam off the underside of the secondhand V8 tanks I put back in.