free hit
counters
One less Esprit... - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
obione

One less Esprit...

Sorry for the loss, glad you are okay. Those are at once spectacular and horrifying pictures. I wish you satisfaction from your insurance carrier, and hope you get another Lotus.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sad just looking at the pictures, I hope all turns out well and you can replace it. :thumbup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's sad to see this type of thing happened!

Anyway, Thank God you are okay.

Edited by ILoveEsprit

008-1-1.jpgLotuslogo.gif1aeg-logo.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys, and as you have all said, at least I was okay. I went to a 2nd BBQ a few hours later and got all the jokes...toasted marshmallows etc!!!

I am extremely busy at work at the moment so for the next few weeks its head down and sort out the insurance.

The Esprit is the car that I always wanted, and finally got, so my 1st thought is to get another one

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Sorry to see and hear your news.

I'm glad you are safe.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Sorry about your loss. I can quiet imagine the feeling of watching any Esprit go up in flames, yet alone your own.

Have you any idea what could have caused the problem? I can expect problems with a turbo model, but not normally aspirated.

Unlucky, saw a stevens after a similar occurence by Stansted Airport a few years ago. There really wasn't very much left at all!!

SH*T!!!! :thumbup:

Really glad that you're OK Andy...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Andrew

So sorry to see your lovely car go up in flames but am happy you are not injured.

I actually got a lump in my throat in the first picture, seeing such a lovely car like that, and the end picture is just Horrifying to see how little there is left!

Hope you get another and we see you soon mate.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Andrew,

Like others have said, commiserations, but real glad you got out ok and did not have a passenger to worry about as well.

I actually gasped when I got to the third photo. If you did not get told it was an esprit, you just would not know.

Best of luck finding another car.

Michael.

ps I'd be mortified.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Absolutley gutted for you Andrew - my worst nightmare!

So sorry ...........

Can I ask how long ago were your fuel lines checked/replaced etc? Not starting mine again until I know!!!!

Hope you get a replacement?

Glad you got out OK.... The fill up 20 Miles earlier probably saved your life..... I had a car go up in the early nineties and the Fireman told me the tanks usually explode if they are 3/4 full or less as there is more room for the petrol to vapourise.......

Jesus :detective: ,

Andrew really gutted for you mate, but a least you got out ok, was not expecting the final damage thought was just expecting to see the engine bay melted! there is nohing left at all :P

Hope the insurance company sorts you out pal and that you get sorted with another esprit or somthing else that takes your fancy.

Regards danny

A

I was sick to the pit of my stomach when I saw this, so god knows how you felt having to watch it and not being able to do anything. I'm delighted that you're OK and if you get any insurance company crap about it's true value, don't forget to come back here for help.

Hope you find yourself in another Esprit soon.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Its already been said by many people...so sorry to see this and glad your are OK.

I think if it was me I'd be devastated. I do hope you get the insurance sorted without any hassle and get back to driving these fantastic cars.

:detective:

It's getting there......

Those photos made me feel physically ill...what a desperate thing to happen. Fire is so unforgiving... hope the insurance pay up promptly and you can find a suitable replacement. I felt bad enough when that twit in his white van wrote off my rear bumper and spoiler...I can't imagine how I'd feel if it all went up in flames!!

To preach from my usual pulpit once more...I've dripped on about this in the past...why don't we all change the fuel pipes every two years when we change the cambelt? Only slightly more misery to undergo, but the best insurance possible...prevention is far better than any fire extinguisher. Having discharged 2 kilos of extinguishant on an engine fire in the past, which only slowed it down a bit, I would not put any trust in any extinguisher system. I would suggest we ALL change the fuel pipes NOW....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hoses...

I have always been aware that old hoses can be a cause of Esprit fires, so 6 months ago when the engine and gearbox were out I got all the hoses etc renewed

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Jeepers. That is a comprehensive burn. I hope there is enough left to sort out what went wrong. Given the speed of the blaze, I would guess a leaky fuel hose or clamp, failed pressure regulator, stuck float, or torn accererator pump diaphragm. Dit it have those glass inline fuel filters? Whatever the cause, it is making me rethink adding that fuel pump cutoff switch...

Mike - '83 Esprit Turbo, Turbo St. Tropez,  '87 Esprit Turbo  (FrankEnSPRIT), '05 Elise

Like others I'm very sorry about what's happened but glad you're ok

If it's not the hose then I wonder if its the connectors that weren't tightened correctly.

When discussing changing my fuel hoses with Gerald Turner at GST he said that the connections were much more of a problem than the fuel pipes themselves. Also the rubber diaphragm on the carbs gets brittle, cracks leading to engine fires.

I'm no expert - he is though. Might be worth checking

Hi Andrew, I am sorry to hear of your trauma of seeing your own car go up in smoke, but am happy to know that you suffered nothing physically.

Recently I posted an article of a car which I bought with fire damage in the engine compartment, (Lost Essex No 9?) and was sad to include a picture of the resultant damage. Sadly your news comes as a surprise to most owners on the forum, and we should take notice of the good advice given such as changing of fuel lines.

I have been told that a common problem is on the vent line from the fuel intake pipe which then goes around the top of the window in the engine bay on the partition between engine and interior. The older cars certainly have a type of rubber which hardens and cracks, allowing fuel vapour to escape into the engine compartment. If this vapour ignites and there is a source of fuel in the area, the resultant is a big fire. This line should definitly be replaced, if it breaks to it's bending motion.

We should most certainly have a portable fire extinguisher easisly accessible, but after seeing the horrific photos, and how the fire developed, I am thinking of having an additional extingisher plumbed into the engine compartment, so that it can be activated, while still driving.

Perhaps we can learn something from this to prevent further occurences.

I don't even have an Esprit (or any kind of Lotus) but the demise of any proper mid engined thoroughbred is a blow to petrolheads everywhere. I feel for you. Look on the bright side though - you got out untoasted.

Keep the faith.

Whoa, that's horrid. I couldn't stand to look at the photo.

A couple of months back, I had just revived my SE, and was thinking, it's a beautiful day and the cam belt doesn't look particularly dodgy. Then, I read a tale of woe from someone who postponed a timing belt change. That was it. Up on blocks it went, and the new belt went on.

I had put a large fire extinguisher in the rider's footwell when I found I had a fuel leak a couple of weeks ago. (rusted line) Yesterday, I was thinking that I have that resolved, maybe I should leave the extinguisher at home. After seeing those photos, it's staying in. Probably permanently. I'm not losing it without a fight.

This is really sad, I am lost for words :detective:

I have seen your car at a couple of events and remember is well it was very similar to mine except the paint work was in way better condition.

This is a very sad reminder that all owners with Esprits fitted with carbs to check the integrity of the fuel system at least every month as failure can result in total destruction.

Once again I am sorry for your loss and the most important thing with all this is that you got out safely.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.