free hit
counters
Even if you think it's fine - check it. - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Even if you think it's fine - check it.

Bought my Esprit with 22K miles. I'm up to 26K finally and had the #1 exhaust manifold gasket come out slightly creating that "fffft, ffft, fffft" sound. The studs, nuts and brackets had completely fallen out allowing the gasket to wiggle out. Apparently its a common problem. What I didn't realize until I fixed it was - even though I couldn't hear it at idle until recently - based on my greatly improved performance, it's clearly been a problem since I bought the car.

I fixed it yesterday along with the cam tower cap nearest the turbo that had also come loose slightly. What happened was pretty amazing; the exhaust quit backfiring almost completely and the ass-dyno says I have significantly increased my boost. Kind of a shocker. WIth all the mods to the car it's always been fast, but now it sounds significantly better, pops much, much less, idles better and the boost is definitely stronger.

Anyway, moral of the story; it never occurred to me to even check it because I had no idea it was a common problem. Wish I'd known sooner. So, if you haven't looked at yours lately, go check it!

Somebody tell Gmendoza I'm ready for a re-match :-).

Edited by S4Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffered similar with mine within the first year of ownership on cyl 4.

It appears to have been missing the locktab plates to stop this happening - I cant see with those in place how the studs could fall out so curious to know if that has happened to you?

Its amazing what affect the exhaust has on a car, esp a turbo.

My GT2 is missing a few nuts on the back, they are only just tightened (10nm) so they are not really tight.

Might have a look at mine again tonight after reading.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

The very first time I looked at my engine after buying the car I noticed 2 nuts/studs had backed out. The one time when this is a good thing is if you ever have to pull the exhaust manifold. No busted studs!. When I pulled my exhaust manifold most of the nuts/studs came out together as one piece.

Might have a look at mine again tonight after reading.

I'm shocked at what a completely different car it is now. Shocked. 10K worth of mods didn't make as much of an improvement as $5 worth of studs and a $30 gasket.

• 3 months later...

Wow, how did I miss this? lol

We can do this again but I have a feeling things will get uglier for you this time. You must really like the way a V8 looks from the back. :wallbash:

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, that makes more sence. I could not believe how bad you got smoked considering all the trash you were talking. :unworthy:

You do remember there's a vid right? :)

:lol: I'm just messing Jim. Hey are you still interested in a dyno day?

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq