free hit
counters
Cleaning Alloys - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

Cleaning Alloys

Hi all,

Whats the best thing for removing ingrained brake dust. I've tried concentrated fairy liquid with toothbrush as well as brake/clutch cleaning fluid but with zero success.

Are there any wonder cleaners out there?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete

Wonder Wheels is good but it is an acid and I'm not convinced that its good for repeated use on the wheels.

Personally I've used it once as there was no real alternative but once clean I'd just try to keep on top of it with a sponge.

Beware, most of these mag wheel cleaners are corrosive, do nasty thing to brake calliper seals and slides, I recommend taking the wheels off to clean them if your going to be using it.

There is another solution, my first ever sports car had wire wheels, and by some amazing coincidence I just happened to be dating a dumb blonde who volunteered to clean them, hands and knees stuff with a toothbrush. Sorry lost contact so I can't pass on her phone number. :detective:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Don't use Wonder Wheels - as mentioned its corrosive!! I've moved some suprising stuff just using Autoglym Resin Polish.

Quickly followed by a quick full wheel polish and it keeps the dust from sticking........

Hi Pete

I used Wonder Wheels repeatedly on mine with no ill effects. The key is to not leave it on too long, just the bare minimum.

"Esprit S2", Paul used it on his to and had great results. Drop him a PM, I'm sure he had some pics, but I can't find them at the moment.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Wonder Wheels is fine as long as you rinse and rinse and rinse. It might be worth rinsing after that, too.

Take the wheels off.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

On this issue what about the little OZ futura bolts round the rim - i find these a right bugger to get at - there is a little corrosion/rust round each bolt and last time i did them (wheels off) i used Zymol and some Autosol and a toothbrush and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. OK but not top drawer in my opinion. Any other solutions (no pun intended)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

get a 5 litre bottle of VIROSOL, they use it for cleaning up dead body fat!!!. its a citrus cleaner you water it down 100:1. some bloke on an AUDI forum was doing this and flogging it for

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

get a 5 litre bottle of VIROSOL, they use it for cleaning up dead body fat!!!

Crikey! What do they use to clean up live body fat????

I've used Wonderwheels on my wife's Volvo S60 and the wheels are knackered now. Might explain it.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

ha ha, what I meant was they use it for cleaning up when a Body has been left lying around etc. smells of oranges

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Just for washing wheels, you can use wheel brush and Autoglym Custom Wheel cleaner (which is very sensitive) or Meguiars wheel brightener (that's the main product I'm using).

For polishing Autoglym Metal polish or Meguiars NXT metal polish (it's excellent stuff). And then you can put some wheel sealant after that, which keeps the wheels clean from brake dust (or it's very easy to get that dust away). I have been using Poorboys wheel sealant, you can even wax your wheels before sealant B)

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

I've used diluted hydrochloric acid, 50/50, with a good hosing afterwards. Sounds brutal but worked really well on wheels that were ready for the rubbish tip. Oh and do them off the car.

DanR

Comma Tar remover - worked a treat!!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Never mind a toothbrush. I use a very substantial hairbrush with firm bristles. It

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Don't treat the symptoms. Treat the problem!

I have removed the calipers from all four wheels and, voila! No more brake dust.

There are, of course, penalties to be paid--nothing in life is without complications. This "mod" has brought about the necessity of certain driving technique alterations, and it always pays to keep up on the handbrake maintenance--particularly cable tension adjustment, but the aesthetic benefits outweigh the minor inconvenience of astute advance distance-to-go planning and correct spacing between preceding vehicles.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.