free hit
counters
1977 esprit s1 restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1977 esprit s1 restoration

Just came across a 1977 esprit s1 in southern California. I've been working for the last few weeks on the body and sanding until I got to the original primer. The previous owners resprayed a primer over the existing red and a horrible color blue on certain parts like the hood and engine compartment. As I restore this car and try to keep it as original as possible I had a few questions.

1. Where can I get a new windshield? (mine's cracked)

2. Does any one sell carpet kits for the interior; and the engine compartment.

3. How can I tell what my original interior was like, and how to recreate it. I've noticed some differ between the restored ones and the originals.

Thanks for the help, I will continue to post pics on my flicker account and ask questions as they arise. http://www.flickr.com/photos/1977_lotus_esprit_s1/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the fourm! Your S1 is one of only a handful that were originally painted "Regency Red". Nice find! :detective:

Your interior is (was) originally "marcasite velvet". There is another recent thread discussing a close-as-possible replacement for it. If you are interested, I have lots of photos of a correct, flawless interior.

I have been working for quite some time to get as close-as-possible to the original materials, and I have found a very close match for both the marcasite and the black loop carpet in the boot.

- Tony

Here's a shot of what is to my knowledge the best-preserved original S1 marcasite interior (belonging to 134H):

134HInteriorRight.jpg

134HInteriorLeft.jpg

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

In response to "rellen's" comment, hear are some pics of the exhaust. It was hard to get under the car and get pics but in case you don't know whats happening in the pics, the exhaust comes out of the engine and over the suspension and down around and out the back. hope this helps.

In an unrelated topic, I'm just about ready to respray my s1. The color is Regency Red and the paint code is L11. Where should I go to find this paint, or who sells lotus specific paint preferably in the US?

post-6220-1245389921_thumb.jpg

post-6220-1245389967_thumb.jpg

post-6220-1245390001_thumb.jpg

post-6220-1245390056_thumb.jpg

post-6220-1245390110_thumb.jpg

hello eric

welcome to the forum. im in SD also and there are 2 other G-body esprit owner at my workplace. a friend just put in a windshield last month and says he got a pretty good deal on it. i think i was around $600ish? PM if you need any info on it.

i have an S3 but have always loved the S1 and S2 cars.

regards

pp

Welcome to the forum, Eric. The great thing about southern California is it's dry which is great for preserving the metal work. Unfortunately, that sun does fade the interior quickly but I think the materials that Tony has founds will last longer than the original stuff.

Good luck with the restoration.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I believe the original paint was lacquer and being in California it maybe hard to come by. If you are spraying it yourself you would prefer lacquer as it dries fast and if you make a mistake, wait a bit, and then sand it out. Once it is sprayed begin with wet sanding down from 600 grit to 1500 grit and then buff to perfection.

Nevada might be your best bet in finding the paint in the right color code.

If you take it to a professional shop they will most likely do a base coat clear coat.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just recently finished painting my s1 regency red in my garage. For the last few weeks I have been wet sanding up to three thousand and buffing the car to a mirror finish. Progress has been slow ever since I went back to school at San Diego State. I have been going between home and my apartment often to get work done on the car. I have almost finished replacing cleaning and putting everything back on the exterior of the car as of now. I have pics of the car just out of the paint booth, and will upload more when I finish the exterior. Next step is to get the interior finished and do the finishing trim inside. I'll keep more posts coming and add pics to my flicker web site as I get big steps completed and get ever closer to driving the esprit!

better pics on flicker,

EDIT by mod: pics removed - they were enormous! Please see posting images thread for details on the best way to post images and the size limitations.

Great stuff Eric. :(

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just bought a new windshield for my car and was wondering the best way to go about installing it. Should I use a glue rope bead, or windshield adhesive? what is the best way about going at this for this car? Any suggestions.

photo update: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1977_lotus_esprit_s1/

Just finishing up the interior

Final touches on the exterior

Pulled the engine and tranny: rebuilt the head and got a valve job, getting new piston rings, rebuilding the carbs, and finally detailing the engine parts and engine compartment.

hopefully not long till my first car show!

Eric,

Great work on the restoration,car looks fantastic and as others have said glad to see your keeping it origanal as possible,

You have taken some good pics of the work progressing which are nice to see :thumbsup: , good luck with the few bits remaining,

regards danny

A

• 5 months later...

Just browsed all the photos -- looking good! :D

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff Eric! I think I remember seeing this car advertised...is it the one that was in tall weeds around Covina? I remember the advertiser though that it was hopeless for true restoration but might be a good one-off project otherwise. Glad to see that you're making it good again!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 1 month later...

Ya i believe that's this one. It was in the weeds but it was in Pasadena and the guy thought it would be a good parts car.

Update: Engine dropped back in after just finishing the rebuild of the water pump. Everything is hooked up and running! Time for the final touches in and around the car and begin wearing in the new engine. Hope to have final pics up within a month or so as well as my first drive. Now that i'm back away at school and its no longer summer its going a lot slower, its now become a weekend project.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ya i'm still at SDSU. I'm getting really close to finishing mine just waiting on a new clutch hosing and it'll be ready for its first road test. Hows yours coming and where r u working on it? What number do you have? I have also never seen a 77 in person besides mine either kinda funny how theres two being worked on by state students.

I work on/store mine in the garage at the house I am renting about 2 blocks from campus. I believe mine is number 236H, but I would have to go out to the garage to confirm that. Mine still needs quite a bit of work. I have been sort of stalled lately as many of my engine components have been at the machine shop since early summer. I am trying to get back into working on it though. New goal is to have the car running by spring break. We should meet up some time, I could use the motivation of seeing one that's close to done to get me back out in the garage working on mine lol.