free hit
counters
Head Gasket? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andjons

Head Gasket?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There's leaks, and then there's this:

th_CIMG3500.jpg

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Greetings

Turns out that the compression test (which, after all, was on a cold engine) was a bit of a red herring. When I removed the head nuts, the centre ones were all very loose - I'd guess less than 50 lb/ft. This is supported by the coolant staining across liners, gasket and head, predominantly on cyls 2 and 3. Note also the deposits in the exhaust ports:

DSCF9253.jpg

DSCF9202.jpg

DSCF9249.jpg

DSCF9224.jpg

Clearly, a head job has been done in recent history. There's a Goetze gasket, and the new studs. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to change the studs at almost

Oh, yes....I can !

Good job (your's, not the previous guy's, I mean.....)

Now get that garage tidied up!

Edited by wookie

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Is this a Citroen gearbox?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's an S4 so no.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Just for general consumption. Low compression does not automatically mean a head gasket issue. So dont presume this is the only likely cause. It is just the most obvious and likely.

Low compression can also be linked to piston ring issues and also damaged valves. Worse scenarios are cracked head or block.

:yes:

Power to the Sparks. Sing it to me man!

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Actually, in this case, the low compression reading was from the only reasonable cylinder! Several of the head nuts were really loose. The machine shop said the head was shaped like a banana. All components bear witness to a huge coolant leak. The head, liners, and gasket were all stained with antifreeze, as were the valves. Everything had been bathed in coolant for a couple of weeks, so surface corrosion was widespread. Valve seating was atrocious, and the cam tower fit gave valve clearances that are way out. I poured a litre of coolant out of the manifold/turbo, and approximately 5 litres of coolant came out of the sump - no exaggeration. I think the higher compression readings were more a hydraulic effect, and coolant was being forced down past the rings.

I've never seen a leak this catastrophic. I'm astounded (and a little concerned) that the breakdown guy managed to start the engine afterward. I'm going to risk throwing it all back together, but I've warned Andy that we may see other problems. Next step would more or less be a full rebuild.

Awaiting shims now, and couple of seals/gaskets. Also news on the gearbox imminently.

Indeed, mate - and a large helping of lucky rabbit's foot.

Some more piccies:

Newly skimmed head:

DSCF9258.jpg

Inlet valves were bad, but not too bad:

DSCF9284.jpg

All inlets installed:

DSCF9288.jpg

Exhausts were diabolical!

DSCF9290.jpg

DSCF9292.jpg

After significant lapping work:

DSCF9294.jpg

Installing new studs:

DSCF9301.jpg

And head finally back in place:

DSCF9305.jpg

Doing it by the book:

DSCF9306.jpg

This is what came out of the sump:

DSCF9311.jpg

DSCF9312.jpg

And for a little light relief, I took a look at the translator:

DSCF9307.jpg

DSCF9309.jpg

Yet to find a good one!

And in other news, turns out the gearbox is going to be painful too - 2nd gear and synchro both knackered. Ho hum. Andy's taking it all very philosophically though. Hang in there!

Wow, quite unfortunate. Have you considered pulling the sump in order to clean it out.

Good luck,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Hi Jeff

Difficult to decide. It's all a bit touch and go at the moment. I may just flush it first.

Translator looks fine, just a bit more grit needed to help lubricate it and it'll be sorted.

Now are you planning for those head studs to be a bit more than just finger tight?

Gary,

I know in order to pull the sump you will need to remove the flywheel and the front pulley. This would allow you to also freshen up the front and rear seal. I am just thinking, with the amount of water passed, you will be flushing the engine oil a few times in order to clean up the mess. A clean sump may reduce that as well as insuring the new oil isn't overly diluted with water. The only other thing I can think of in order to save time is to fill the sump with diesel in to help flush out the gunk before you decide to fire it up.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Andy, you wag! Studs have been installed to spec using the appropriate tools and expletives.

Jeff - front pulley is already off, and flywheel comes off later to rectify the rear seal. so fair comment - maybe best to pull the sump. Although I've already done a fair old flush via the turbo oil return. In an ideal world it should be a complete engine strip, but I want to retain a shred of optimism!

Yup - nip was absolutely spot on.

Give it time, Andy... :)

I'm just curious Gary, did you really lap those exhaust valves in by hand, you didn't use a seat cutter? I'm interested because if hand lapping is the "approved" method, I'll start keeping the revs down! Not my favourite job. :(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Have to admit, mate, although I prefer the manual method I did resort to electrons on some of the exhaust valves. They were almost angle grinder candidates!

A couple of sticks of dynamite would do at the moment!

Wookie's back - yaaay! Someone to share the pain with. We've decided to drop the sump after all. Might open a much bigger can of worms, but better safe than sorry...

Wow, this is one amazing mess. I'm amazed Andy is being even slightly positive about it.

Fingers crossed, I really do hope the light is shining bright at the end of the tunnel! I guess it makes sitting on the floor in the rain at my place feel like a holiday! LOL

Chunky Lover