free hit
counters
New family member, but papers missing ... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New family member, but papers missing ...

Hi all,

I'd like to import a car from UK to Belgium, but apparently UK DVLA has no records at all of the car concerned. All papers are lost, and car was probably Hong Kong registered (since Hong Kong belonged to UK long time ago). V5 is not available, so export papers cannot be made (since car is 'uknnown' for UK legislation). DVLA says customs/border control will not complain since there free traffic of goods within Europe.

Car info : Lotus Europa S2 1969 (RHD) ; number plate SX718L

It was an insurance write off, but I'd like to have as much history as possible of the vehicle.

I hope LotusCars UK could make a duplicate of the 'certificate of conformity', if that existed in 1969 ...

In worst case, car can be restored and put on UK plates (official registration procedure) after having done soecial MOT etc ... and then exported to Belgium (again)

All info more than welcome !

kind regards,

Hans

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus Europa S2 - Beautiful Car!

I unfortunately saw a stunning condition one get written off just last Sunday on the track at Castle Combe. I was only admireing it 30 minutes previously before a high speed shunt into a pretty non forgiving tyre wall completely wrecked the front half of the car. Gutted for the owner.

Good luck with your plans.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

When I exported mine to Australia, my licence to Export was finally issued about 3 weeks after the car had left, proving you don't need one to export from the UK.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hans

Don't know if its an issue but the reg no you posted is likely to be wrong. Correct format for the UK should be three letters, three numbers, and then a final L.

i.e. SX? 718L.

Also the L designator at the end defines the year of first registration in the UK and does not fit with 1969. "L" defines between Aug 1972 - July 1973.

If it was registered in Hong Kong it is likely that the reg number would be in a two letter, varied number format. i.e. without the L on the end.

Either way I'm not sure the reg number you have is correct. This might affect the DVLA search?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hans

Don't know if its an issue but the reg no you posted is likely to be wrong. Correct format for the UK should be three letters, three numbers, and then a final L.

i.e. SX? 718L.

Also the L designator at the end defines the year of first registration in the UK and does not fit with 1969. "L" defines between Aug 1972 - July 1973.

If it was registered in Hong Kong it is likely that the reg number would be in a two letter, varied number format. i.e. without the L on the end.

Either way I'm not sure the reg number you have is correct. This might affect the DVLA search?

number plates (front & rear) on the car show SX718L ; checked with UK DVLA & Hong Kong DVLA : not known to neither of them, so it's definitely never registered in UK nor HK

Anyway, didn't buy the car in the end, without any papers it would be VERY hard to get it on the road again !

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -