free hit
counters
Bugatti on 'top gear' - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Bugatti on 'top gear'

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in a word - WOW

That is an incredible machine. I soooooo hope they have one there at supercar sunday next year. Would love to here the engines running!!

what an experience driving that must be!!

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Video'ed it. Wasn't going to watch it tonight - too late (11.45pm) until I read above comments. Itching to watch it now..... Got to be up at 6am. Oh well, If I'm late for work!!!!!!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

What a car - I love the stats about comparing it to a Mclaren F1 (for those who didn't watch) - on a standing start, the Bugatti can wait for the F1 to reach 120mph, then start and STILL beat the F1 to 200 Mph!! Now thats FAST!

MK1 Volkswagen Golf Owners Club Well, had to get this one in if anyones interested?!

I soooooo hope they have one there at supercar sunday next year. Would love to here the engines running!!

Or the Goodwood Festival of Speed? Maybe Lord March will get one for Christmas...

:D

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

the nsx is nice but the new one is even nicer witch more of an aggressive stance and look however i still take the lotus esprit...

by the way, in Motor Trend the magazine, the builder of the M F1 was talking about how bad the Bugatti was built the wrong way. He was saying how it went over budget and how heavy it is and all.. real nice article. Ill try to scan it sometime. I see some jealousy here.

the zonda is nice.. dream car.. now where can i find a bank to loan me $600,000 dollars.

Now that you've seen a pie in the sky...

This is the future:

At least, that's my idea of a properly developed supercar...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it may be from Japan, but at least it was developed with Senna's expertise, & as we all know he did drive for Lotus all those years ago.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Well, it may be from Japan, but at least it was developed with Senna's expertise, & as we all know he did drive for Lotus all those years ago.

Daz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know many people think that if it is Japanese, then it can't be as good as a European offering.

I have no such issue. A good car is a good car, and the NSX-R is what the Esprit could have been underneath the striking wedge styling. Lotus didn't do that, Honda have, end of.

Compared to Lotus specials like the S300/S350, the NSX-R beats them to a pulp in effort to make a customer track car.

I'm off for a test drive... :D

what a fantastic car such a shame it looks terrible

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

what a fantastic car such a shame it looks terrible

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Au contraire... innit as they say in Tokyo. :)

I think it looks far better than this...

lotus_europa_1.jpg

And at least it's all HONDA....

:D

I showed this Europa to my friend... her comment - besides that its ugly was -, "...it doesn't look like they designed it for old Lotus enthusiasts, more for a new market and new kind of customer."

Nuff said.

I meant the Bugatti not the nsx

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I meant the Bugatti not the nsx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh....

Sure... but I'm never gonna buy a bugatti like that. Sure, there are many great looking cars out there for silly money. But I reckon something like the NSX-R or even the new Noble M14 are more likely to be what people who have the Esprit will be able to buy.

m14.jpg

I dont really like the design of the Veyron either, but I think it will initially be in great demand with Arab Shieks:(

As for a 15 yr old car being the future, (NSX)  :D

Is it a case of "Back to the Future"? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I read you right what you are saying is that the NSX is not exactly new compared to what we are talking about in the thread (New Esprit, Bugatti etc).

I agree... but I don't aspire to something like the Bugatti or a number of similar products designed for the seriously wealthy. I'd rather have a car designed for its own sake which is good at what it does, and also is reasonable value for money.

That's what was always the Esprits strong point, it was a real car, not merely a showpiece or fashion statement.

The NSX-R is similar. It's how it drives and makes me feel that is important. It's a great achievement for Honda, as the Esprit was for Lotus. Honda has used the same strong formula of lightness coupled with tuned engines pioneered by Chapman in producing a fast well balanced road car. Add to that recent moves in drive-by-wire thechnology and thats what the NSX is.

That's worth appreciating, and to me that's the future. The potential in Honda and others making cars for real drivers in the future is massive. And for a corporate giant to still produce a car with passion and heritage is what's important to me as a buyer of a particular badge or brand.

Lotus can't sit on its past reputation and expect to convince people who know the market. There are many other manufacturers of rival products who are using Chapmans ideals to make better sports cars. Lotus has to do more to impress than repeat history - and they do that badly too.

Lotus hasn't shown anything worth appreciating lately, they are the same old beancounting minimalist operation they were after Chapman died. No spirit, no passion, no identity.

As buyers of Lotus cars, we make enough compromises in quality and identity. If the next Lotus Esprits main parts continue to come from another manufacturer, then I think I'll spend my money elsewhere and keep the old Esprit:

They have not moved forward, that's the same as what they were doing 30 yrs ago. Once that was what everyone was doing to an extent in the exotic car market. Now, it's not enough if you want to convince customers that your badge is better than someone elses.

I know many people think that if it is Japanese, then it can't be as good as a European offering.

I have no such issue. A good car is a good car, and the NSX-R is what the Esprit could have been underneath the striking wedge styling. Lotus didn't do that, Honda have, end of.

Compared to Lotus specials like the S300/S350, the NSX-R beats them to a pulp in effort to make a customer track car.

I'm off for a test drive...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have absolutely nothing against Japanese cars, They make some excellent cars which are quite often underrated. &, as I drive two Nissan turbos as well, one as my every day car, a Nissan 200sx, I find them fun cars to drive. I esp like the Front engined rear wheel drive configuration. Rear wheel drive will always do it for me, much better than a front engined/drive set up that has to put up with all that under steer. Unless of course it's a Lotus Elan 90's model, they got that one right for some reason! :)

The NSX is a great car & probable their best attempt to date, it

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

I see what you are getting at BN but all the critism and goading in the world directed at Lotus wont change a thing. :)

The truth is If Lotus could afford to they could build a great car. :D

The sad part is I dont think they will ever be able to manage it unless one of the big profitable manufacturers (Toyota?) buy Lotus, and alow them to actually build a car utilising alot of the state of the art technology that was invented by them. :)

Until then (or the end) they soldier on making the best of what they have(not much) :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg