free hit
counters
spare wheel does not fit! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Had a blowout this morning at 80mph. Sudden complete tire failure due to a screw and low pressure.

Lots of smoke but the car was very controllable. It was the right rear.

But then when I went to put the spare on and it won't clear the brake caliper!

wtf?

The front brake caliper is even larger so I am pretty sure it won't fit that one either.

It looks to be the original spare....?

I had to go gat a used 18" tire and get it mounted to my car off the side of the road.

Am I missing something here?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The V8 spare wheels in the Lotus Surplus sale have the spacer fitted. The spacer is available seperately as well but you need longer wheel bolts which again are available as well as a bag to put them in. The details are on LEW somewhere.

Martyn.

Thanks guys

I figured it was something like that.

I was looking at it and thinking. "hmmmm, if I had some kind spacer".......

I tired to post a pic but the file was probably too large..

Blinkin flip thanks for the heads up Martyn. Heres me being all smug with my new spare for European holidays and I would still have been stuck. No mention of the bolts when I bought it, cheers Lotus.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Another thing to check! I guess we have to learn from someone, thanks for the info though and sorry for your troubles.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Blinkin flip thanks for the heads up Martyn. Heres me being all smug with my new spare for European holidays and I would still have been stuck. No mention of the bolts when I bought it, cheers Lotus.

Mark,

If you've not got the huge AP calipers on your Esprit, you can just remove the spacer and bolt it straight on. I've done this on my SE and it seems Ok at least on the front, haven't tried the rear yet but I'm fairly sure... it'll be Ok.

Martyn :clap: