free hit
counters
Head Gasket Problem - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Head Gasket Problem

fsrowsell

• Gold FFM

Edit: surely you're not planning to put that turbo back on? And how are you going at the studs?

Hi guys, Chris (wookie) here, hijacking Sparky

Edited by sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs

We have looked at Turbo technics recently and have given them a load of turbos to repair. Reports are good so far, but I guess the truth will be apparent when they get onto engines on the dyno.

I am pretty sure they have some idea what the are doing as their core business is the production of turbo balancing machines for the turbo charging companies. They made the equipment so decided to utilise it to extend their on business.

The extent of the repair being good always depends on the availability of good core. I have seen a lot of examples lately that have come of engines that have been worked hard and the housings (exhaust side) are very badly distorted. The ability of any company to remachine back to the correct profile and get the correct clearance to the turbine is something that needs to be watched for and some so called repairers do not do this. At this time I cant say if TT do or not.

Cheers

Ralph

The head is back from the machine shop with a clean bill of health.... Thanks Chris.

Spent the morning at Dave Freman's shop getting the four studs out of the manifold... We did it and it only took 4 hours of drilling on the bench... Thanks Dave

I now all my bits ready to start putting things back together. One last thing to do and thats check the Nip on the liners. I will do that tonight...

Cheers

... I will also install an outlet on the oil catch tank. That that the system can bread again and hopefully this wont happen again

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Are you saying that the breather connected to the oil tank which had no outlet? How was the crankcase breathing? Through the dipstick tube? I'm surprised you haven't blown out the crank seals. That would certainly lead to condensation in the crankcase and blockage of the breather valve.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Dave, Sparky will be droping by around 7ish... Your more then welcome to drop by. We will be puting the Cam towers on..

Who ever wants to drop by, that no problem...

Cheers

Felix

I'll be there, if you have not seen my thread you will not know that I have found a crack in my exhaust. So I too have some work aahead of me.

See u later

Dave

Well we did that, towers on and all tappetted up, whats next felix, need an update my friend.............

How is it hanging, the exhaust I mean..........

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

Will I finally got a chance to take the Cross shaft of the gearbox in order to take a closer look at it. The peace of metal that is cracked and bent, looks like it is just pressed on the shaft. So, I Was thinking maybe I can press it off and make a new plate and press it back on. That would fix my problem

post-5388-1247053565_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1247053584_thumb.jpg

post-5388-1247053600_thumb.jpg

I would be tempted not to replace the pressing, you have to get it in the right place first time and get the right tolerances to acheive the required interference fit when cold. If it were me I would have the plate (whilst still assembled) pressed flat and weld the cracks.

Dave

• Gold FFM

I reckon it'll hold, probably for quite a while. But I'd still be buying the part!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.