free hit
counters
Foxy - Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Foxy - Lotus Esprit S2

Thanks Paul,

The car was (finally) primed yesterday so it is currently battleship grey! I will post some more photos shortly, but here is a taster:

post-5743-072748800 1277930553.jpg

It has staggered me how much preperation has been involved. Although I have moaned about how long its taken I can't fault how meticulous they have been, particularly the amount of work done on just the body join alone to ensure its nice and the trim fits it all the way round.

The there is the fun and games of everything going back on once its painted. It is going to look awesome when its done!!!

Edited by Nelly9000

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Excess prep is no bad thing. My painter was the opposite and a year later some of the problems I asked to be solved are back, you're lucky they're taking the time. :getmecoat:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sorry to hear you have had issue Bibs. Judging by the amount of flaking paint on my car it can't have been done that well when it was sprayed yellow.

New pics now added to photobucket!

Edited by Nelly9000

Neil,

The work thats been done so far looks great, As others have said you are better off that they have taken there time to get a better finish, Cant wait to see the finish coat :thumbup:

Cheers for the pictures the photobucket album looks great :thumbsup:

regards danny

A

I feel quite nostalgic seeing how she's going!!

Congrats on the progress so far. I'm delighted it's going well, and pleased for both you, and also for Foxy, who is getting the attention she always deserved. Look forward to seeing her in the flesh when she's looking brand new.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Cheers for the pictures the photobucket album looks great :rolleyes:

Thanks Danny, I found looking at similar threads really useful to see what I would be up against and hope my pics prove useful to someone else doing a project such as this.

Mat - I know you have a close interest and hope you have enjoyed looking at Foxy's progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Car was srpayed on Monday and is now looking like this...

post-5743-046342700 1279129148.jpg

Doors, bonnet, tailgate, capping rails, rear valance and both bumpers to be painted next, along with matt blacking areas of the body.

Wow, great to see FOXY is at last getting her new suit that all us PO's promised her over the year but failed to deliver. When I got her, over 10 years ago now, she had been neglected for many years and and ignored in the back of a garage for about 4 years. Did a fairly good fix up job on limited funds and had great fun with the car for a few years, but the cosmetics where always going to be beyond me. Matt too had plenty of fun and high hopes, but had far more bad luck than anyone deserves. At last FOXY is with an owner who is realising all the dreams of the PO's!

Cant wait to see her on the street. Well done and keep up the fantasic work!

post-725-063335500 1279139073.jpg

Thanks Malc, appreciate the comments! Great pic too!

Its been more difficult than I expected but it seems to be coming together at last.

More photos on the photbucket page, and more to be added when she is being put back together.

Edited by Nelly9000

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

All the wiring that was present in the bonnet area when I got the car was removed and new wiring is in, but its not connected up yet as the headlights have not gone back in.

I have decided to do all of the interior now rather than put the car back on the road and do it at a later date. Once the front is all re-assembled I will post a picture up, the plan is for the passenger side headlight wiring to go straight down to the light as it usually would, but the drivers side wiring to exit the cable hole and immediately turn along the bulkhead and run down the inside of the drivers side front wing to the headlight that way (rather than along the area where the spare wheel would be). I hope that made sense! Should look a lot neater that way.

The wiring on my car was not great either so it seemed sensible to do all this at the same time.

Thanks for all the kind comments thus far (particularly the 3 PO's!)

Edited by Nelly9000

• 5 months later...

Well, it has been a while since my last update. Thats not to say nothing has been going on but now its starting to all come together.

The whole interior is out and has gone away to be retimmed. Originally this was due to be with me end of January but has been delayed. More on that in a bit.

In the meantime I have been using the time to tidy up the rest of the items:

- The dash support and upright have been rust treated and painted.

- The warped wood to the seat belt gap in the bulkhead has been filled and sanded (I know you won't see it but I can't leave it knowing it was still there!).

- All the carpets are out and I have a new set which should be going in weekend after next.

- The heater assembly is out - it was in very poor condition but worse that that it had a massive dent to the front (how it got it I have no idea, what with it facing into the cabin) so I ended up getting an old unit from Lotusbits which was just as bad as mine (less dent) - so thats now in bits and is being refurbished before going back in.

- All the electrics were coming through the same hole in the dash skuttle as the vent tubing for the binacle vent, so this has all been correctly rerouted so it doesn't snag

- I have also had a new dashboard mask made in MDF as mine was non standard and I really want the car looking original, but in a modern way

However, the main news is that the interior retrim is now underway - on Tuesday the alcantara headlining went in and the dashboard skuttle was trimmed in black alcantara - photo below:

post-5743-0-86329500-1300307568_thumb.jp

I should have all the interior back with me at the end of the month, so it will all be taking shape and I hope some regular and exciting updates will follow! More recent photos added to my photobucket page, link below.

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz104/Nelly9000/Lotus%20Esprit%20S2/

Edited by Nelly9000

• 1 month later...

Update time

Following a couple of techincal posts I thought it was time to update progress. You all love pics so here is a taster before I go into detail:

post-5743-0-40508800-1305570208_thumb.jp

You can see that the front valance, refurbushed grill and front bumper are now on. I have also put the waist trim on, but it didn't go 100% in places. Its not going to fall off but you are able to pull it off in places although it does return to the lip. I am disapointed as with such a huge list I didn't want to go back and have to do stuff again. I am toying with leaving it for now and revisiting it in six months or so.

In addition I have started to put the rear lights on the car and by the end of the week hope to have these finished, fron headlight pods in, number plates on and maybe even the new exhaust back box.

Other jobs I have done include the refurbished heather assembly which was looking lovely, fitting new carpets (including underlay which my car never had). I do have some elements of the interior (although there is load to follow and despite what I am being told I think the trim man is going to miss his end of month deadline - that will only be six months then) but don't want to fit them until all the electrics have been done. All the door wires were cut so need completely redoing along with th connection of the fron t lights which were also pulled out.

So...lots going on. I think my end of May plan may slip a bit but at least it is looking like a car now.

Photos to be updated soon, too many to post here!

• 6 months later...

I can't beleive its been 6 months since my last update - but that seems to have been the way of this project, I take my eye off the ball and half a year goes by!!! Loads has been going on since then, way too much to list here but I had to put the project on hold for time and financial reasons following a house purchase and restoration..

Having recently moved and settled in, the car is now a priority. Most of the bodywork is now on, all that is left to do is:

- Capping rails - are being matt blacked in the inside edges today so they will go on next week

- Rear lights - ready to go, just need to tweak slightly before they can be fitted

- Front valance - was on the car but something fell over in the workshop and clipped it(!!!) so its being repaired

- Balance of the interior (more of that later).

Anyway, this is what the car looks like as of this morning:

post-5743-0-27203500-1322322189.jpg

I have deicded to use the original wing mirrors for now - even though one has some slight damage and I am not sure if they actually work! I did purchase some replacements from Matk (with the chrome stalks) which he had intended to use on the car when he owned it. They are almost refurbished, but not quite ready so I will probably add these at a later date - but the old ones have been painted and look great, as I hope the photo shows. I am also undecided that the chrome really suits the car, there isnt really any other chrome and the black contrasts great with the white paintwork.

Car should be finished in the next 2 weeks, mainly the interior left to do and I will update my photobucket thread - will post when its done along with a link.

Can finally see some light at the end of this tunnel!

Edited by Nelly9000

• 2 weeks later...

Neil

The car looks beautiful. And getting nearer completion.

Seing it without the spoiler reminded me that my own S2 doesn't even have a front spoiler or radiator ducting.

Would you by any chance know where to get such items? Have searched the forum, eBay and other places for almost a year without luck. And sorry to say that Lotus bits is a bit irregular on replies.

• 2 months later...

geir - sorry I have only just seen you reply. Lotusbits are your best bet but you need to ring them - they don't respond well to e-mail. I appreciate that may be tricky from Norway.

Hmmm - I have just re-read they car would be ready end of November. It wasn't, and I gave up trying to predict when she would be done.

However, I have now bonded the waist trim which had come loose, the rear lights are on but I am going to re-do them as I am not happy with them. Thats it externally, and all I need to do are some interior bits, the new dash harness and she is done. So she should be on the road for early March.

Here is how the car looks as of yesterday:

post-5743-0-64627600-1329679848.jpg

The capping rails, front spoiler and of course numberplate have been added since the last photo.

I have to say with the car looking as good as it does, and the nice weather we have had this weekend, I have had the first tinge of excitement for ages - its has been a long, hard journey!

Edited by Nelly9000

• 2 weeks later...

A small but significant update.

Myself and the guys at the bodyshop got the car started up today for the first time since June 2009.

Thankfully she was turning over freely, but we did a complete revolution of the cambelt by hand, added some new fuel, and after a bit of reluctance she fired up - a bit stodgy at first, but got there in the end. I daresay she will need a bit of running but she will get serviced before any use.

Its a massive relief that all went well and this milestone has been reached. I am setting myself the target of getting all the outstanding bits and pieces sorted this coming week so she is finally finished next Saturday.

After what happened to Sue's Turbo with the cambelt breaking, I am going to trailer her to Sportomotive in Salisbury for a C service, MOT and a couple of other jobs to ensure she is ready for the summer.

post-5743-0-69022800-1330786135.jpg

post-5743-0-40826500-1330786189.jpg

Rear light still to put on (obviously) but one very important addition made today...!

Edited by Nelly9000

Congratulation with passing the milestone.

And good luck with lots of fun and exciting use of this white lady in the time coming.

And indeed I'll try the phone. I bought the body/chassis from him to begin with so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by saggitarius

Looking very nice.

What fell over in the workshop that clipped the valance? Suppose you should be thankful it did not clip the fender.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

There were a pile of wooden stands (which ironically were a job for the company I work for) for painting white, and whilst being moved a stack of them fell and clipped the valance. Really luck thats all it hit! No big deal, if you car is going to get damaged a car body shop is a good place for it to happen!