free hit
counters
Manifold Removal - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Manifold Removal

So I've taken off the head with exhaust manifold still attached - ground off the rusted nuts and the manifold won't budge off whats left of the studs. Penetrating oil, rubber mallet on manifold - stuck as firm as a tick on a dogs back - is there a secret way??

Similarly the wastegate seems to be just as well anchored to the casting..

2 nights of fun so far trying to seperate the begga..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skilfully applied brute force!! Have you got rid of all vestiges of the nuts..and the washers? One remaining washer, rusted in place, could be enough to hold the manifold on... Usually, when I get to this sort of point when dismantling, I find there's another nut I haven't found yet!! Three to each outlet in this case, so you should have 12. Very difficult to get at some of them with an angle grinder..it's hard enough with a spanner!! Stick at it, you'll get there in the end..

Could try holding the manifold in a large vice (woodwork ones are good!) and smiting the head with the rubber mallet...try getting the head/manifold joint to "rock" rather than just driving it apart. Other than that....careful application of heat to the studs with an oxyacetylene torch often works..but DON'T MELT THE HEAD!!

When I first dismantled mine, the whole exhaust side of the head had rotted away due, I presume, to road salt. Had to have it all alloy welded and remachined, the stud threads too... All that horrible granular alloy oxidisation...you could pull it off by hand...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Can't be as bad as my brother's Triumph Stag...we had to SAW the RH cylinder head off that....hardpoint woodsaw through the alloy and angle grinder through the studs....!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I use a short 13mm combination spanner..one of a set I bought from Machine Mart...cunning devils, they were, had these cute little sets of dinky spanners on the counter..I defy anyone mechanically inclined to avoid buying one!! I've found them to be invaluable. Refit the manifold BEFORE you fit the engine mount..or take off the mount first before you remove the manifold. As for torque settings...tight as you can with the short spanner takes care of that!! As for the electrochemical reaction...could be; but the car was 8 years old at that point and I've now had it for 20 odd years and the head is perfect. Never been out in freezing salty weather though..