free hit
counters
Esprit vs. Evora on track? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit vs. Evora on track?

Over the years I have checked regularly for updates on the Sport 300 vs. Sport 350 topic to see if eventually a fair comparison was done, but now a new contender emerged :clap:

I wonder how the various models of Esprit would fare against the Evora on track...

Any clues or facts?

Cheers,

Francesco

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Top Gear track:

Evora - 1.25.7

Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

Obviously a 4 pot would have shaved 19 seconds off the Esprit time :clap:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Was it dry on the Evora run? I thought the Esprit run was in the wet and that always adds a few seconds to the time.

Edited by ifly

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

In fairness, the Esprit has a faster 0-60, 0-100 and top end, that particular track just isn't suited to it too well.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have to ask if this comparing like with like, for my mind there 2 very different cars and should not be compared. When the new esprit comes out, then its a comparison.

just my input

Dave

On the Top Gear track:

Evora - 1.25.7

Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

Obviously a 4 pot would have shaved 19 seconds off the Esprit time :clap:

Actually, at 6.8 seconds per cylinder pair, only 13.6 seconds would be shaved... :)

Edited by 73JPS

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

On the Top Gear track:

Evora - 1.25.7

Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

I am sure the Esprit could put in a much better time than that. That time was by the Black stig who was Perry McCarthy. He drove for Lotus in the Esprit GT1 but fell out with Lotus and was fired in 1996.

Even JC at the time made a comment that the Stig "did not like Lotus very much"

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

The Evora will be quicker due to its modern design and advances in technology.

I think 5th gear did a thing a few years ago a Sport KA was faster round the track then an orginal M3 due to advances in Technology.

And Top gear did a bit with the Orginal Rally Quattro vs a standard road Evo and the Evo blew it away. Time marches on

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think I'm correct in what I said about Sport Ka vs Orginal M3. The M3 has more grunt don the straight but round the bends the Ka was better and therfore quicker on track.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track1.html

The Evora is a very fast car for its weight on that test..276bhp/1380kg

And you can see by the laptimes that cars with very good power/weight ratio wins on that track..

I have driven the Esprit a lot on the track from stock to my modifyed and feel that a stock V8 with good tyres would be aprox 1sec faster with equal tires...Modern performance cars is now delivered with summer tires with R-compounds (very expensive) and is the main reason for being fast on the track with all the weight they have to carry..

46. BMW M3 Sedan (E90) 1:25.3 119

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

In my personal opinion it is not really apples and oranges.

Even though the Esprit (in my opinion) more of a supercar look than the Evora, the power figures are not that different, and the Evora is a lot more modern in all the mechanical components.

I would be interested to know what kind of lap times the 4 cylinder and V8 Esprit could make with a decent setup and very good tires, that would make a fair comparison.

Perhaps the Esprit then wouldn't be 12 seconds a lap slower than the Evora, don't you think?

Esprits had never been raced in South Africa, and I entered an Esprit in a race a few weeks ago in the Lotus 7 series, and was rather dissapointed in the outcome, despite not having slicks and being almost 500Kgs too heavy.

Besides having consistent times to within 0.1 second on laps over 2 minutes each, I was the slowest on the track. The car had a good engine but was just not competitive to the other cars. As 'red vtec' said earlier, "Time marches on"

I found that the springs were too soft in standard form, with the tyre profile too high, particularly at the back. I could not understand why I was oversteering when I came OFF the brakes, but after some thought, seems to be due to the sudden weight transfer to the back wheels after suddenly coming off the brakes, when the set up is in equlibrium into the corner. Having the engine in the rear would also contribute to this. The brakes were an issue as the brake fluid boiled, and we had to replace it with racing fluid, but still had to pump for brakes, which were still too spongy. The weight was a problem, weighing in at 1103 Kgs despite having removed many items and using the lightest battery possible.

If I had to do it regularly for fun, I would have to skim off much more weight, upgrade the brakes, wheels and tyres, stiffen up the springs and get adjustable shocks.

For it's era, it must have been quite a sensation, but materials and methods have moved on.

Having said all that, I am still happy with my Esprits, and know that I can climb in, and travel several thousand kilometers in relative comfort in any weather, as opposed to all the cars I raced against. Esprits must have been meant to be eyecatching sporty cruisers, and they fill that specification with unquestionable ease !

Let us not now start comparing, some 30 years on. How would a Ferrari 308 of the same era compare to a modern Maranello job?

I think that Esprits have stood the test of time and even today, will live up to one of the early marketing drive campaigns --

"Even With The Engine Off, It Leaves The Others Standing"

On the Top Gear track:

Evora - 1.25.7

Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

Who cares! I'd still go for the louder, older, better looking one that actually

can pass as a supercar without sparking debates about criteria, top speed,

gadgets and 0-60 times etc.

:)

Schuey didn't drive the Evora, he's not allowed to!

Evora NA

Nope, didn't see it but I've asked if we can have a copy.

The filming is done in the order of the show, we watch the clips too then C, M & H come on and do their bit then another clip, then they're back etc. The only thing we see which you don't is the cockups, retakes and a special DVD of out-takes which is mainly them swearing.

Evora NA

I was always under the impression that the Esprit / old cars are much harder to get the best out of.

I made a statement once about my Elise in that it was as fast as the GT3 meaning I could drive it as fast, even though it was less BHP/ton you could maximise it's full potential more than the Esprit. I take corners in the KA quicker than the Esprit - it has a lot to do with guts and how confident you are with the car. In the hands of a good driver it's still a very quick car, I still routinely embarress a lot of new cars in the corners even if I lose touch with them in a straight line.

1:25 for the Evora around that track is astonishing imo - it's much quicker than a lot of serious cars, only 1 second slower than an Audio R8....that's just incredible !!

The quite understated success of the Esprit track cars shows in its day it was an extremely viable race car.

Remember with power/speed etc - it's all very well saying that the V8 has more grunt than the Evora, but you always have to take that speed off when you hit a corner, used to find that with the Elise when the Evo crew blew you away and approached roundabouts at 100mph only to have to come down to 50mph to take them....

facebook = [email protected]