free hit
counters
The drive of your life - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The drive of your life

After seeing a top gear programme where the they search out for a the best road to drive on, cannot remember what road it was.

Anyway, with all the talk of visiting France, Turin etc would it not be fitting to drive an Esprit up the same roads as top gear. My heart stops, then races just at the thought.

I am going to look at the possibility of arranging a long weekend to "make that drive" not sure on the locations but it could be rolled into the trip to Turin, anyone up for it or some thoughts.

Who's up for a drive of your life - following top gears route.

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Stelvio Pass won :respect:

300px-Stelvio.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When I read your post I had a synapse fire somewhere deep in the brain that I had seen on the TomTom updates a POI which showed all the roads featured on the Top Gear best drivers road programme.

I will have to do some digging again :respect:

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Remember seeing that on top gear, some fantastic routes with some breathtaking views mixed with the thrills of some of the best roads going, If i remember rightly there was a chap with a lambo that decided to do the same thing a few weeks after the show was broadcasted and went of the edge of a cliff! He was unharmed but the car was wrecked!

Sounds like a fantastic road trip and sure a few people on here would be up for it, If my car had run its test period I would love to do something like this, it sounds great.

Regards danny

A

Going down Stelvio sounds appealing - its the ups that worry me a bit more :respect::police:

Chargecooler at least needed me thinks.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

The road you are looking for is from Davos (Switzerland) to Bormio (Italy) and then up again to the Stelvio pass. In my mind the road in Switzerland is better than the Stelvio. There are no fixed speed cameras there, and try to do it during the week, outside July and August.

That episode (Series 10, Episode 1) is my favourite TG episode of all times.

Edited by Whippet

Megan and I are driving to Switzerland next month for a weeks holiday. Ithink it would be good to do a recki.

As far as timing is concerned, Megan works in a school so we would want to go outside term time.

I recognise that bibs is looking to arrange a trip to Turin, I would prefer not to interfear with that. Best idea is to combine the two. Your thoughts bibs.

So outside of school time, combined with Turin

Any thoughts anyone.

....but I live in Australia.... :unworthy::thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I recognise that bibs is looking to arrange a trip to Turin, I would prefer not to interfear with that. Best idea is to combine the two. Your thoughts bibs.

The Turin trip will definitely be taking in Stelvio :unworthy:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

....but I live in Australia.... :thumbsup::rambo:

I suppose it would be seen as extravagant to ship the Esprit over to do the run with you guys, but it sure sounds like fun. :unworthy::thumbup::unsure: I'll just have to remind myself I can't afford it anyway.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

You guys must just be careful. Even though I say there are no fixed cameras, it has happened that enthusiast groups roaring through Switzerland's immaculate roads have been arrested en-masse and severely penalised for excessive speeding. I can recall something like this in fact happened to a Lotus Elise / Exige group here last year.

Great stuff Bibs, a thought occurred to me though, for trips in the UK I normally just check oil water, other fluids, walk around the car. Like most esprit drivers we all know what is right with the car and also what needs doing. With that in mind I ponder on how the trip will emerge once we reach the shores of France, will it be a race to Turin, or will we all be sensible (well, ok a bit sensible). That number of miles then a trip down or up the Stelivos pass could kill some cars if preperation was lacking before departure. And we have all got to get back. To have the car break down on the way down would be soul destroying, catastrophic to say the least.

Mypoint is that the intinary for the trip needs to nailed down soon, I for one would want to do a number of tests on my car to ensure I can get there and back. Anyone any thoughts on what should be changed or tested prior to takingh on this "trip of a lifetime"

Dave

I've already arranged with Lotus a van full of spare Esprit parts on a sale or return basis!

Evora NA

Yes, we have spoken about and that is a great benefit. But my point still remains, if the car is prepared well the need for support should be kept to a minimum. Clutch failure on the way down for example would mean missing the trip or being late for rendezvious in Turin.

Dave

On a slightly different tack, could we or should we do this trip and have it televised by top gear or something. We perhaps also should consider if we can riase some money for charity.

Dave,

Been meaning to do this for a while so no excuses needed now. Count me amongst the very keen with dates being the only consideration. Would be nice to go through Switzerland taking in the Furka Pass (got to be a few one liners coming off of that, plus it was used in Goldfinger) http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6951441 and then the Stelvio Pass.

As for back-up, sounds like a good idea but do we really need it? With the exception of the Allegro owners club I bet we are one of the few planning a trip and our members assume the worst. Surely we have a little more faith and preparation.

Perhaps a Sparky list of things to check is all we need. And tow rope of course.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I'd definitely be interested. Went to the IOM TT a few years back and that was fantastic:

Davos, Stelvio and Turin would be in a different league!

I've already arranged with Lotus a van full of spare Esprit parts on a sale or return basis!

When I go to a track day I have both boots full to the brim and that's mainly tools. But a van full of spares would be a great idea. Obviously you can't expect to bring along major items but something simple like a clutch slave cylinder could go and you'd be completely screwed.

I wonder when the Lambo owners do this are they all playing Matt Monroe on repeat? :unworthy:

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• Gold FFM
Perhaps a Sparky list of things to check is all we need.

Actually, the reverse is simpler:

Sparky list of things NOT to check

I think I've covered it all. Unless you're Bibs, in which case you absolutely must have lots of superglue with you.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ok, not going to let this one go. I will speak with bibs in the next week or so (happy tocome down to your place bibs) to agree a possible date and itinery. Need to get a fixed and firm date which suits all and allows for time toget cars ready and to save up for fuel etc.

Bibs, are you happy for me to help plan the event of a lifetime.

Dave

Just a reminder, how can we get this filmed, iam tempted to contact the BBC , also we should do it for charity.

Anyone with comments

Dave

The Turin trip will definitely be taking in Stelvio :unworthy:

I must have missed the original posting.

Depending on dates that would be something I would be interested in.

Would be nice to go through Switzerland taking in the Furka Pass ......

Trevor.

Do the circuit from the north, 3 passes Susten pass, Grimsel pass and Furka pass what a fantastic drive.

I did that last year but sadly not in a Lotus.

As for fixed speed cameras there are quite a few particularly on the motorway network and they were previously available for download to your TomTom but from the beginning of last year the Swiss authorities decided that it was illegal to supply that information

If you visit Italy, you can also visit these:

Maserati

Via Ciro Menotti 322, Modena

+39 059 590511

Maserati autosportdivisie

Viale delle Nazioni 60, Modena

+39 059 2051520

Stanguellini Museo Auto Storiche

Via Emilia Est 756, Modena

+39 349 8181 830

[email protected]

AutoSpeak classic & sportscar

Via Emilia Est 852, Modena

+39 059 366655

Carozzeria Scaglietti

Via Emilia Est 1163, Modena

+39 059 252052

Museo dell'Auto De Tomaso

Viale Virgillio 9, Modena

CLOSED

Parco Enzo Ferrari (before Autodromo Modena)

Ferrari monument

Via Dell'Autodromo, Modena

House of birth of Enzo Ferrari:

Via Paulo Ferrari 85, Modena

CLOSED

Appartement Enzo Ferrari (now Piero Ferrari)

Largo Garibaldi, Modena

Cementary Enzo Ferrari

Cimitero 1, Modena

+39 059 334103

Qvale

Via Danimarco 160, Modena

CLOSED

Minardi

Via Spallanzani 21, Faenza

+39 0546 696111

Edonis

Viale della Resistenza 12, Campogalliano

+39 059 528377

[email protected]

Bugatti

Largo Ettore Bugatti 1, Campogalliano

CLOSED

Pagani

Via dell'Artigianato 5, San Cesario sui Panero (follow from San Cesario deriction Sant'Anna,

after that go to industrial zone la Graziosa

+39 059 952811

[email protected]

Lamborghini

Via Modena 12, Sant'Agata Bolognese

+39 051 817611

Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum

Via Stratale 342, Dosso

+39 051 862628

Collezione Mario Righini

Via Nini Bixio 12, Panzano di Castelfranco Emilia

+39 051 733169 fax +39 051 735767

Collezione Umberto Panini

Via Corletto Sud, Cittanova

+39 059 510660

Museo Ducati

Via Cavalieri Ducati 3, Bologna

+39 051 6413343

Ferrari

Via Abetone Inferiore 4, Maranello

+39 0536 949111

Galleria Ferrari

Via Dino Ferrari 43, Maranello

+39 053 643204

Officina Toni Auto

Via Abetone Inferiore 41, Maranello

+39 0536 941131

Pista di Fiorano

Via Gilles Villeneuve 23, Maranello

+39 0536 843650

Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari

Via Fratelli Rossilli 2, Imola

+39 0542 634511

I've been there, it's a valley where I would like to retire later, dreaming of sitting at a sidewalk cafe with a capuccino and look at the Lamborghini's who pass for a factory test drive. :unworthy:

I would be very intrested for a blast through Europe. We had a run last year in France, Esprit, Elise and Exige down to Angouleme for the Circuit des Remparts 2000 miles in a week . The best way to discribe it was an episode from Top Gear. It was that good we are all going back this year but for 2 weeks in September.

Andrew

Nah - the UK gang should come to the Isle of Man for a weekend instead - I welcomed an 11-strong SELOC group (Elises, Exige and a Europa) at the ferry port here yestarday lunchtime - 2 hour crossing on the (sadly extortionate) fastcraft from Liverpool, and it turned out there were also a dozen Caterhams on the same boat, so said hello to them too.

No speed cameras, friendly cops (unless you're an idiot), no speed limits outside most towns and villages, and the world-famous TT Mountain Course to hoon around. And you can spend English money here (please) and remember what England was like 30 years ago! Oh, and we've got a race track at Jurby that you can book for a trackday while you're here, with arrive 'n drive karts onsite.

I'd love to see a couple of dozen Esprits to add to the three or four 'residents', so just press the button and I'll do the legwork.

Stu

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

We STILL have pound notes...but at least you can rip them nowadays!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"