free hit
counters
Brakes...optional extras on an Exige? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hippo

Brakes...optional extras on an Exige?

The old girl passed her first MOT today, but she needs some new brake pads...think i may get some of those nice red or green things...anyone know what the difference is...and if they're any good or not?

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Greenstuff are fairly standard pads without being the entry level from EBC.

Redstuff are the next up for cars producing more than 200bhp.

You can also get yellow, blue etc, all for higher performance / racing etc.

See www.ebcbrakes.com for more.

I have green stuff on my N/A S3 and it does stop. Not much dust about either.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Well I have S4 with Brembos set up and am using Redstuff.

The only issue is really when cold and nipping to the shops, the brakes feel rubbish and graunchy. (I said feel as they are not and the car will stop on a sixpence).

Once up to temprature the brakes are brilliant shame about the S4's ABS as this in my eyes is just dangerous due to the ABS cutting in prematurely.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/selector.shtml This link shows the different applications.

Its all down to efficient operating tempratures. Personally i'd probably go Redstuff.

More importantly i'd definately consider braided hoses and performance brake fluid as it is very easy to cook the S4's brakes as standard, especially on track :unworthy:

Waynef

I've recently had a chat with a Director of EBC.

Green Stuff should never be on a performance car, they are designed as OEM replacements for Corsa's and Saxo's. NEVER put them on an Esprit/Elige.

Red Stuff are good, they'll keep temperatures of u pto 500C away from your fluid so you'll not boil it and they're pretty fade resistant.

Yellow Stuff are very good and only

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Right, i'm going for the yellow on Bibs' recommendation...

Ok, now what does anyone know about induction...i keep hearing the words Hurricane and Pipercross...i likes the sound of that, and i've just been paid... :unworthy: ...any noticeable performance gain?

Edited by Hippo

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Noticeable noise change, the free flowing air filters make the engine sound a lot more aggressive, it makes people think there's a massive power gain, in reality there is probably just a small one, but go for it.

Green Stuff should never be on a performance car, they are designed as OEM replacements for Corsa's and Saxo's. NEVER put them on an Esprit/Elige.

Oh.

Another item for the list then.

Seems that my S3 hasnt been getting the care it deserves. Makes me wonder what brake fluid is in it aswell. Still, all being changed before MOT retest.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Green Stuff should never be on a performance car, they are designed as

OEM replacements for Corsa's and Saxo's. NEVER put them on an Esprit/Elige.

To add to that, Steve Williams (who races his Elises in the Lotus On Track series

and does masses of Elise work inc his famous duratec conversions) said when i

took my Elise down that the green stuff were in his opinion:

'Shit'

So bad that he does not (despite always having a dozen or so Elise in the workshop)

keep them in stock, if i wanted to keep them he'd always have to order them in for me.

So trusting am i of the mans judgement, i just left him to upgrade my brakes, picked

it up with bigger drilled and groved disks, and now it can do an 'endo' if required they

are that good.

:sick:

Totally depends how fast / how you drive the car. I would generally always recomend a good bad but I used greens on my old S1 Elise without any issues, stopped nil probs, quite often with one wheel locking up. Certainly not the best pads but certainly not as terrible as they're being painted out to be here !

I was told to use them on anything upto ~ 1000kg.

Mainly underwhelmed with Redstuff / ebc rotors - bite was good but didn't last long and fade would come in quickly esp after fast down hill stops.

I would go pagids as well fwiw - I need a good rear pad soon for the GT3 and I'll look into those.

facebook = [email protected]

Just my opinion.

redstuff,Yellowstuff, and mintex 1144 are very good if your on a budget, But will suffer if you will be doing a lot of track days. These are at the cheaper end of the market. Great for road use though.

Pagid rs14(heavy track use, black in appearance standard fittment on the cup 260.) and pagid rs42(blue in appearance) are very good for what they offer, twice as expensive as the cheaper option though.

Then there are the new competition pads from carbon lorainne available from Hoffmans(randy). Which are as expensive as the pagids but from what i have read offer significantly better Track performance.

Some people swear at pagids, some swear bye them...

Personally i would fit the pagid rs42 if i was driving mainly on the road, with the occasional track day..

or if i was a track day god then the carbon lorraines.

Or if just road use then either the yellowstuff or the mintex 1144.

There are other pads out there that i haven't mentioned but due to not having any experience of them, i haven't commented.

Just my opinion based on customer feedback.

Yorkshire's only Main dealer Lotus technician.

I use Performance Friction pads on both Elise Trophy race cars. They perform well both on the road and during racing....as long as you bed them in correctly. Improper bedding in may possibly be why people have issues with different types of brake pads.

I haven't tried the Carbon Lorraine pads.

Right, i'm going for the yellow on Bibs' recommendation...

Ok, now what does anyone know about induction...i keep hearing the words Hurricane and Pipercross...i likes the sound of that, and i've just been paid... :thumbsup: ...any noticeable performance gain?

What throttle body do you have on the car? If it's a 48mm, then the induction system won't give you much, if any worthwhile gain. You can gain more BHP just by changing fluids.

Totally depends how fast / how you drive the car. I would generally always recomend a good bad but I used greens on my old S1 Elise without any issues, stopped nil probs, quite often with one wheel locking up. Certainly not the best pads but certainly not as terrible as they're being painted out to be here !

I was told to use them on anything upto ~ 1000kg.

The one wheel locking up - thats the problem.

Guess everybody knows that you want the wheel moving and generally rule of thumb for road tyres is about 15% slower than the roadspeed. The problem is that this is incredibly hard on the brakes and the heat generated is massive. It actually takes far less effort for the brakes to lock a wheel dead and this is what happens to lower quality setups far easier. The same can be said of performance setups that are stone cold. For road use it's not a massive problem as there isn't really much opportunity for the brakes to get really hot - it's why the manufacturers go to places in the mountains like stelvio to push them hard.