free hit
counters
Clutch hydraulics - air in the system - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
balieesprit

Clutch hydraulics - air in the system

Clutch pedal on my 97 V8 went soft all of a sudden this morning - realised the hydraulic fluid container was empty (my fault as I hadn't checked the fluid levels for 2 months).

Refilled it - but there is still air in the pipe running to the clutch. This is as the pipe has a metal u-bend that sits a couple of centimetres above the hydraulic fluid container, so the air pocket cannot escape through to the hydraulic fluid refill container.

Bleeding it through is not an option - will need to bleed it all the way through from the front to the rear, with the air bubble continuing to rise towards the u-bend at the front (about 30cm higher in the front than the rear.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the air-pocket / or is it OK to keep driving it with air in the pipe?

Clutch seems to operate fine with the air-pocket in the system.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As the fluid is quite viscus you should be able to get the air pocket to move with the fluid, but you'll need to move the fluid quite quickly so the two person bleed process might not be as successful as other methods. Try something like the gunson system or an air line fed bleeder where you can move a lot of fluid in a short space of time, with no rest period in between.

Andy

I've found the use of a hand held vacuum pump, with collection container for brake/clutch bleeding works well.....you can usually pump up the vacuum to about 25", crack the bleeder valve open and get a significant amount (a couple ounces or so) through before losing your vacuum.

if your Front-end is higher than the rear, why not 'bleed' it from the gearbox/slave cylinder end up ?

You can use some slightly pressurized air that feeds into an sealed bottle. Than this bottle needs an pipe that is in contact with brake fluid on the base of the bottle, and that can fit over the bleeder nipple of the slave-cylinder.

DIY-bleeder

The pressure should push the fluid along the pipe and into the slave-cylinder. From there all along the way towards the master-cylinder & fluid reservoir.

Or use the more simple way: lift your front-end a little more up. In an way that the air can move it's way back to the master-cylinder/reservoir just by gravity on the brake fluid.... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi All,

Before doing all the bleeding, you should investigate, WHY the reservoir was completely empty !?

Most likely you have a leak in the master or slave cylinder ...

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus