free hit
counters
Bond Esprit up for sale again. - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bond Esprit up for sale again.

dodgey_rog

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it the real one of was it just the camera car!? :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Roger, my post was in reference to the car which Bonhams recently sold, the white S1 from The Spy Who Loved Me. We pretty much ascertained that it wasn't the Esprit used in the majority of the scenes, including the excellent chase scenes but was the one which had a camera crew sitting in the boot filming the other!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Can't seem to remember the 1st Esprit in 1977 being in "Never say never again" as I believe that came out in 1983 and there was no Esprit with Mr. Connery!

Maybe they ought to get their facts right on the Bond info!

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Nice bit of History but Estimate 90K - 110K!!!

I'd rather have 3-4 Sport 300's for the same cost. :D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's certainly not chassis number 1 either!

Evora NA

It's certainly not chassis number 1 either!

The picture from the auction site may say #SCCFC20A8AMD 10858, but what I think is meant is that it's the first of the Turbo Esprits.

Of course this is just what *I* think they meant. I'm usually wrong; just ask my brother. :)

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I thought Coys was meant to be a respected auction house?. Can't believe that they would post or say things that are complete tosh.

Does anyone know how much screen time the car had?. I didn't think it was much, just a couple of up and passes.

I think Bibs was eluding to this earlier, it might just be a publicity car, i hope its the better condition version as i've heard there's a tatty version doing the rounds.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

That plaque from the Coys site does not seem right? Signed by ACBC himself? Brian Angus told me ages ago this was the FYEO car:

Bronze Turbo

OPW678W (VIN SCCFC20A1AHD10930) For Your Eyes Only.

I sent Andy Graham at Lotus Archives an email asking if he has any info available on which car or cars were used on the film. Will post his reply.

Found some details of the sale back in June 06:-

Lotus Esprit Turbo "For Your Eyes Only" - Sold at $210,000

A 1980 white/copper Lotus Esprit Turbo 1 used by Roger Moore during his portrayal as James Bond in "For Your Eyes Only" (United Artists, 1981), chassis number SCCFC20A8AMD 10858, engine number CC912 8011 18912, having double pinstripes, alloy wheels, and self-destruct system; consisting of four C4 explosive packs (strategically hidden in both sides of the car, front and back), magnetic seals on all doors and boot, and vibration sensors. Following the success of Bond's (Roger Moore) Lotus used on-screen in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (United Artists, 1977), the film's producers agreed to re-employ the use of the ultra-sleek automobile in "For Your Eyes Only." This Lotus Espirt (being one of two used in the film) was driven by Bond throughout the film and can be seen prominently during an expedition to spy on Hector Gonzales' (Stefan Kalipha) subversive activity in a covert estate in Madrid, Spain. Later in the film, the car is seen again (now copper), as Bond sped through the Italian snowy ski resort of Cortina. Interestingly, because of its original white color, the car would not translate well on film against the snowy background. It was immediately sent back to the factory and painted copper, and had customized ski-racks fitted on its roof. The most important production car Lotus produced is the chassis number one. Two white cars were provided for the film - the main car being Lotus chairman Colin Chapman's own prototype and development car, (chassis number one). Additionally, this remarkable automobile is also known as the original Essex car - the prototype for the Lotus "Esprit" series. Together with brass plaque with inscribed signature by Colin Chapman, the chairman of the Lotus car company. THIS LOT WILL BE ON DISPLAY AT PLANET HOLLYWOOD LONDON IN LEICESTER SQUARE UNTIL JULY 31, 2006.

private

New York, NY, U.S.A.

Tags: 1980 Lotus Esprit Turbo "For Your Eyes Only" - Sold at $210,000, car, famous, sports car, coupe, AUCTION REPORT, EDITORS PICK

Quick Details

Sold For: $210,000

# Bids: 41

Auction Date: 17 June 2006

Engine: 4

Transmission: manual

Interior Color: tan

Exterior Color: copper

Edited by GavinT

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Graham did say he would pull the records on chassis# SCCFC20A8AMD 10858 but he never got back too me. He did comment that he did not have a full list of cars used on 'For Your Eyes Only'.

105k & it still needs a C service, esp that cam belt :D

I had a gook look at the one at Goodwood last year as well, it was no where near as good as what photos on the Coys web show, like you pointed out Grahame one of the ski brackets was broken. Also I noted the one at Goodwood was a Turbo, or at least it had an external wastegate. the Coys ad states the cars used were fitted with non turbo engines. I'm sure I read on the cars the star web page that he has three cars that where used in the film. He claims to have the white turbo, or is it NA with turbo body kit, one.

Just my pennies worth

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

• 11 months later...