free hit
counters
ALDL connector gloves box, jumper A - G? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

ALDL connector gloves box, jumper A - G?

Does anubody know why there is a jumper, between pins A and G on ALDL connectro located behind the glove box?

If this jumper is fitted you cannot use Freescan from ALDL connector in engine bay, there is no data trasmission.

Removing the jumper Frescan works, and there is no difference with car and engine behaviour.

So... what is this jumper needed for???

I let it out now, but curious to know. I did not find any info on service manual.

My esprit is an S4 , made in May 1994.

Nick

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all explained in your workshop manual, please see section EMH1 page 9 (talks about the bridging plug you have here) and EMH4 page 5 (which explicits the wiring of the ECU and ALDL plug)

What you have is a nice bridging plug which is used to switch the ECU into diagnostic mode, in this mode, the ECU will use the CEL (by blinking it) to indicate trouble codes.

It's a poor man's freescan if you will ;-)

Only problem is that as you say, and as shows your pic, the bridge you have here connects pins A and G, which actually grounds the ALDL line ! So no wonder that Freescan can't connect to the ECU, it is muted ! ;-)

The bridge should normally connect pin A and B, not A and G !

I assume Lotus sells this bridge for too much, some previous owner tried to make his own to save money... and shorted the wrong pin ! And he also forgot to unplug the bridge before selling the car to you ;-)

So since you have Freescan, you don't need this bridging plug anymore. Of course should Freescan or your laptop have problems, maybe you will be glad you have this bridge, so maybe keep it "just in case", but make sure you correct its wiring first ! ;-)

--

Vince

Edited by troutrou

Thanks Vince, I have seen the page EMH-4 page 9 when looking for the bridge I have, but this on the manual is the right one to get into diagnostic mode (pin A and B).

I confirm I have the bridge on A and G and this connectro , for sure, is not home made, but should be original from Lotus or a Dealer.

MAybe someone didn't want anybody to make service on this car ?? :-)

Well, I have to assume I am the only one with this bridge.. unlucly guy! I took days to understand why my freescan did not work (changed cable, remade interface circuit, checked my laptop serial port.....) Better I do not recall the story!

Cheers

Nick

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

Hmm, so Lotus got the wiring wrong when building your bridge, that's bad luck ! Then there is also this problem in another topic, where Lotus mixed O2 sensors and sent the wrong part (under the correct P/N though!) to a forum member. Looks like there are some newbees at the factory at the moment, who need to concentrate more on what they are doing at work !! ;-)

--

Vince

Edited by troutrou

Thanks Vince, I have seen the page EMH-4 page 9 when looking for the bridge I have, but this on the manual is the right one to get into diagnostic mode (pin A and B).

I confirm I have the bridge on A and G and this connectro , for sure, is not home made, but should be original from Lotus or a Dealer.

MAybe someone didn't want anybody to make service on this car ?? :-)

Well, I have to assume I am the only one with this bridge.. unlucly guy! I took days to understand why my freescan did not work (changed cable, remade interface circuit, checked my laptop serial port.....) Better I do not recall the story!

Cheers

Nick

isn't there a way to re-wire the plug ? Pull out existing (wrong) wiring and put them on the right place ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Yes of course, takes 30 seconds to do. Then again, one doesn't really need the plug... stuffing a wire directly into the socket's terminal (car side) is plenty good enough !

But since he has a fancy plug already, might as well use it...

• Gold FFM

Nick, In my S4 I have two ALDL sockets in the front. One is the ALDL for the ECU, SIR and ABS. It does not have a jumper. The other one is the socket for the alarm ALDL, it does have a jumper. Are you sure there is not a mixup between the two sockets?

Nick, In my S4 I have two ALDL sockets in the front. One is the ALDL for the ECU, SIR and ABS. It does not have a jumper. The other one is the socket for the alarm ALDL, it does have a jumper. Are you sure there is not a mixup between the two sockets?

indeed, that's possible as well Erik, becaus I mixed up ! It didn't work, so I used the one in the back of the car, until someone told me to use the other one ;0

It's the one with the most wires on it I think ...

• Gold FFM

Yes, in case of a mixup, the question is whether the connectors are in the right sockets (ECU ALDL left, alarm ALDL right). I never checked whether the cables are long enough to allow for this, but this certainly should be checked that the ECU connector is not in the alarm socket with the bridging link

Vince,

the jumper on your SIR/ABS ALDL is between A and G like the bridge I found in my car?

On my S4 there are no parking sockets for this 2 connectors, they are floating in the air (I am sure because I have removed the alarm system controller from behind the glove box, and I remained surprised when I did not find the parking sockets!).

So, maybe the jumper was on wrong connector... but A and G is correct on alarm system????

Nick

I found this description (see photo) on service manual, section ML Page 25, where it's written that THERE IS an existing bridging link, but does not say which pins are shorted!

Then to make a bridge between A and H (on picture A is the ground terminal left side first at bottom, H is the Alarm controller terminal 5 on right side).

My jumper (A and G) is putting the Groung to Bidirectional Data Lead and I have no idea what it should do, no idea if the bridge A-G on alarm ALDL should be there.

SEE ALSO ATTACHED PDF DRAWING.

Nick

post-643-1246785341_thumb.jpg

alarm_ALDL_drawing.pdf

Edited by nicknick68

• Gold FFM

This is a picture of my alarm ALDL socket on the S4, the bridging link indeed grounds the data line when the connector is parked.

And the ECU/SIR/ABS has NO bridging link, otherwise it would be in constant self-diagnostic mode

Erik,

so the bridge between A (ground) and G (data line) is correct on alarm ALDL , right?

But, with or without the bridge, the alarm is working correctly.

Nick

Erik,

so the bridge between A (ground) and G (data line) is correct on alarm ALDL , right?

But, with or without the bridge, the alarm is working correctly.

Nick

so, guess it's prob;lem solved :blush:

I made the same mistake : I took the connector with the least wires as the ALDL, but it's the other one :animier: