free hit
counters
heater controls glued? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

heater controls glued?

my heater controls appear to have been glued onto the shaft with supertack black adhesive. i cleaned it all off and now the controls are more loose than i'd like. was the glue original or was it a previous owner who got mad at the controls slipping off now and again? i'm considering drilling a hole in the side to accept a recessed allen screw. those plastic control knobs aren't precious right? just sourced from another make vehicle i presume. so if there are no objections, i'd like to drill out the holes today.

eventually i'm going to remake the part in aluminum with CNC milling. in a better shape too. the original doesn't fit in with the car at all.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, if we are talking about the same control knob . . . . then don't drill them just yet.

The control knobs are junky looking (I do agree), but they are rare as chicken teeth.

I "think" they are sourced from the last model year of the MGB . . . the ones with the huge rubber bumpers. Here in Canada, these knobs are super hard to find. Five years and, so far, I have one spare in poorer shape than my original Lotus knob.

These knobs should have a recessed allen or slot-head grub screw that holds them to the shaft. At least mine did.

AP

hope they aren't rare, as i already drilled them before reading your post. i figured i could always plug the holes with black epoxy resin later. oh well. thanks for the info regardless.

i'm talking about the big ones with the clear lens to let light through. no set screws to be found.

I don't think this would help you guys, but Lotus Ltd. just cleared their stock in the first half of the year and virtually gave the heater knobs away for nothing (IIRC GBP1,25)

Teigan, my knobs also have a hole drilled in the side, you would have to use a small screwdriver to push the small securing pin to undo the knob. But hey, I also have the same black gunk inside the knob...maybe it's done by the factory that way, Lotus style?

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Andrew, you're right:

late_console.jpg

Ciao,

JB

Ohh, did not know that it was a joke :lol: just went to see the doc this morning...

Ciao,

JB

eventually i'm going to remake the part in aluminum with CNC milling.  in a better shape too.  the original doesn't fit in with the car at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would give making controls for a south California car in aluminum. I had a TT and the aluminum parts look nice but they get bloddy hot when the car has been in the sun.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

you're right of course, but since the door and ignition keys are different, you can always just leave the key on acc, and keep the vent fan going while parked. if you have solar panels, it won't drain the battery either. don't try this overnight though